Dick Clarke's American Grandstand

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greg, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Greg

Greg New Member

March 24: Richard Clarke tells families of the Sept. 11 victims: “Your government failed you, those entrusted with protecting you failed you, and I failed you.”

After a review and release from the White House, out comes Dick Clarke's book. It is a great thing that the 1st Amendment rights can take place in a country like ours. While I respect Mr. Clarke's rights, his timing and motives should be in question. You can not stop terrorism. That is why it is so effective. You can only attempt to control it, and not accept it.

If he (Clarke) is sincere, and truly does apologize, and is asking for forgiveness from the victims of the 911 tragedy, then I think he should take the 30 pieces of silver that he is going to make on his royalties, and give the money to the victims of 911. If he truly feels responsibility for what took place, and he wants to make peace with the 911 victims, the American people, himself, and his Maker, then he should not profit from it. At least that would indicate his level of sincerity, intentions, and motives.

And what of the wives and mothers that were 911 victims? They find his comments refreshing and liberating. Go figure! I think the dog is getting wagged by the tail.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2004
  2. gipper

gipper New Member

yes, one should wonder this guys motives, quite timely, and if you've followed bill o'reilly at all you would heard his contradictory statments from 2002. In 2002 he basically said bush was doing a good job against terrorism, stepping things up 5 fold from clinton, but now look at his story, they have a sound bite of his actual statement, QUITE contradicotry and like I said, timely for this election.

As for the money, theres the separate issue of corrupt 911 funds that money is slowly dribbling out of and celebrities and lawyers are getting the bulk and no one wants to explain where the money is going.
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

As to the timing......the White House took 7 months to clear the book.

As to the motive. Clarke is a registered Republican. He served four Administrations.....Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, and Bush II......so he's certainly not a Democrat trying to damage Dubya. Maybe he just wants to set the historical record straight about how we got into the Iraq mess.
  4. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

Xracer U B kiddin, rite?:cool:
  5. RobW

RobW New Member

Xracer:

John McCain and Kenny Quinn are also registered Republicans!
  6. wuzzagrunt

wuzzagrunt New Member

Richard Clarke's comments from Aug '02 could be, at least partially, explained by the need to back the Boss and his policies. However, the factual record bears out many of the statements he made at that press briefing. A lot of things can change in 18 months. Unfortunately for Mr. Clarke, the past is not one of those things.

It's possible that he has experienced a great deal of frustration with the administration with respect to differing visions of how to fight terrorism. However. it's hard to imagine that he could have labored for those years, under the previous administration, without having reached his breaking point, only to resign in disgust with an administration that has actually done something. Yes, it's always possible to do more/better/differently, but Klinton suffered from analysis paralysis and let the situation go ignored.

There's much more to this story than meets the eye. Maybe Kerry promised him a cabinet appointment? Homeland Security? Maybe?
  7. gipper

gipper New Member

Also, someone made a good point, that if Klinton had started to get tough on terrorism and go after al qaeda and start bombing people, everyone would have cried wag the dog because he'd be turning focus against his impeachment/bj scandal... But I guess some dont see that scandal getting in the way of him doing his job..
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I listened to him testify on tv and before i heard any of the stuff about contradictory statments and all.....I had a gut feeling watching him testify that something about him was not right.....

I just did'nt like the looks of him....and now that i know the facts, I REALLY don't like him....

mike
  9. gipper

gipper New Member

Ya, he was pissed about fox using breifing statments for stories, I was thinkin, shoulding your breifing statments match up with other statements you make... seems like anything a politician says nowadays he says twice, for both sides of the issue, can't we have some truthful people running this country? I hate politics and politicians
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Man, i hear ya on that one........

Scum of the earth ain't they? :mad:

mike
  11. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Kinda makes me thing of the one about.....whats the difference between a politician and a sucker fish?

One is a scum sucking bottom feeder, and the other is a fish....

mike