Did a piece of my forend/shotgun break?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by RomeSC, Mar 11, 2012.

1. RomeSC

RomeSC New Member

Hello all. Im very new to shotguns and I just hit a snag this weekend while shooting.

I have a Mossberg 500 Thunder Ranch model.

I put about 25 rounds though it yesterday and then a metal piece at the muzzle end of the forend pump grip separated from the forend. I have attached two pictures; one of the metal piece touching the forend, and the other with the metal place free sliding along the tube magazine.

The metal piece appears to have no locking mechanism and no threads to screw into anything.

I never even noticed the metal piece before yesterday, but now that it is no longer connected to the forend its a big problem. The first time I noticed it had separated was because I could not rack the slide because that metal piece got stuck.

I couldnt find out what that piece was online or in the manual.

Can anyone please help me figure out what it is and what to do about it? I'm really frustrated as I have only taken this gun out twice :(

Thanks.

This picture the metal piece is pushed down into the forend even though it is still loose and it will fall towards the muzzle if I tip the shotgun down.

[​IMG]

This picture the metal piece I am talking about is slid forward. It refuses to stay connected to the forend.

Even though there is no threading, I tried sliding it down and screwing it on, turning it in both direction, and it never catches in anything. Please help. Thank you.

[​IMG]
  2. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

You broke your foreskin with your Mossberg 500? MAN THAT HAS GOT TO HURT!!@!
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

This should really set off those who specialize in high school humor.

That looks like the action slide nut. It should have threads inside and screw onto the action slide tube to hold the foreend on. I can't imagine how it came loose, but it should just screw back on once the foreend is pulled fully back onto the action slide tube.

Jim
  4. RomeSC

RomeSC New Member

After reading your post I noticed that it seems to have VERY fine threads inside. I had to SLAM the action fully back and then put some downwars pressure on the foreend nut and spin it to get it to catch. Thank you for your help!
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Did you replace the foreend plastic? Sometimes replacement foreends don't fit right and the nut won't screw down far enough to hold.

Also, you might need to use padded pliers or a strap wrench to tighten down that nut so it doesn't come loose again.

Jim
  6. RomeSC

RomeSC New Member

I didn't replace anything. Just did what you said, applied some downward pressure and it worked caught on the threads.

It does seem weird with how many turns it took to get tight that it could have come loose in the first place. But now that I know it isn't broken am I very relieved!