Did I just toast the slide on my M&P?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by New Guy, Feb 20, 2011.

1. New Guy

New Guy New Member

Ok, so I went to the range yesterday and shot for about an hour.

I have a simple Hoppe's kit... (read the barrel cleaning rod, hoppe's solvent, hops oil, and a pack of the patches.)

I took down my M & P, did the outside of the slide, then did the underside of the top on the inside, the part you have to remove the slide spring and barrel to get at, with the solvent. I noticed after I did this that that area was rough to the touch and I don't remember if it was that way before I started cleaning it. I am concerned that I accidentally took some kind of finish off of that part of the slide with the solvent, bear in mind that the rest of the slide was also cleaned with the same solvent and is fine, just like new. I applied the solvent first to the patches and then used the patches to apply it to the gun.

This is my first gun so I'm a little paranoid. I continued to dry off the solvent then oil the entire slide and feed assembly, again using the patches, and wipe off the excess oil. The gun seems to function fine and does not seem to stick but I haven't fired it yet.

I know it's hard to tell without actually handling the firearm but is there a chance the solvent damaged that area of the slide?

Thanks guys.
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

You're talking slide, so you're talking entirely stainless steel with the melonite finish, right?

Solvent didn't do anything to damage that. It's more likely that you've just now noticing some tooling marks and roughness to the inside of the slide. It's not uncommon, and it's not an issue. If you don't like it, you can polish it up, but as long as it doesn't hinder the function of the pistol (and there is no reason it would), I wouldn't worry about it.
  3. New Guy

New Guy New Member

LOL, I know this must sound stupid, and it does have "STAINLESS STEEL" stamped on the outside of the slide, so I'm sure you're right... The fact of the rest of the slide is fine also makes me think I'm just being paranoid... I just wanted to hear it from some other people who I know are more knowledgeable than myself.

Hey, I picked the handle NG for a reason... the F in front is implied.:D
  4. New Guy

New Guy New Member

Yes, Hoppes #9... pics to come.
  5. New Guy

New Guy New Member

6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

A couple years from now, we're going to have to get that name changed for you. Maybe something along the lines of "Another guy who has spent WAY too much money on steel and lead." Or maybe something shorter. :D:D:D:D:D:D
  7. New Guy

New Guy New Member

Pics posted above... you can see obviously the changes in texture... normal or not normal?
  8. New Guy

New Guy New Member

Thanks... I've only had the gun for about a month and shot it twice, would it be wearing off already? Will this ever become a problem if enough wears off, (i.e. make the slide more susceptible to rust... which it pry won't do because it's stainless?)

Thanks again guys.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  9. New Guy

New Guy New Member

Thanks Lever, I'll think about contacting S&W, I'm pretty sure this things has a lifetime warranty on manufacturing defects, which I'm sure this would fall under.
  10. Boris

Boris Former Guest

S&W does have awesome CS, give them a call. I also believe their slides are not cast so something else is going on there...
  11. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

IIRC - S&W slides are not "cast", they are machined from billet. Call them, that doesn't look exactly right to me, but then WTH do I know?
  12. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Just fully read that. Just an FYI, Stainless will rust, it just typicaly takes longer so if the finish is really wearing off the stainless will be prone to rusting.
  13. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I would contact S&W. The slides are machined from stainless billet. Those look like voids in the billet and should not be there. I've never seen that happen on any M&P even with the nastiest of solvents.
  14. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

What Helix said.^

That's a poor casting at best.
  15. New Guy

New Guy New Member

I called them and tried to describe the problem to them, they said basically it's something that may be covered or may not even be something wrong. I don't want to go through the trouble of sending the thing off if they're not going to replace it it so I'll just wait a couple of days. I sent them an e-mail with the same picture I posted here but they said they typically don't get around to checking their e-mails until Tuesday or Wednesday.