1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Did I just toast the slide on my M&P?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by New Guy, Feb 20, 2011.

1. New Guy

New Guy New Member

Could this be the beginning of rust or corrosion? I was doing some looking around on the internet and saw quite a bit about S&W having some problems with the finish on these a while back. I'm taking it back to the place I bought it on Friday to have someone who knows what they're looking at (unlike myself) look at it.
  2. Kenjs1

Kenjs1 New Member

do you have a trusted smith? If so let him take a look. It won't be anything he hasn't seen before. Taking it back to the place you bought it MAY be helpful. All depends on who is there. Compare the feel of yours to the feel of a new one. Rest easy, I don't think this is your fault.
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

No its the result of a improperly cooled end mill or voids in the billet.
  4. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

For a little piece of mind temporarily, I'd do this:
    Take it back where you bought it.
    Get out another one they have.
    Break them both down and compare the two.
  5. New Guy

New Guy New Member

So I went back to the gun store that sent out my M&P today to pick it up. Smith received the gun on the 3rd so I was pretty happy to get it back rather quickly until I found out why.

Bear in mind, after I sent the gun in via the shop I called Smith to make sure they received it, they did. I briefly described the issue to the person I spoke with on the phone and he told me I would most likely get the gun back with a new slide, which would be acceptable.

So they bring the gun out to me, I take it down right there on the counter and they did NOTHING to it except test fire it. To make matters worse, the shop can't find the invoice to see what, if anything Smith and Wesson did.

Out it goes again, the shop manager told me he's going to call them out before they send it and find out

A) what they did and
    B) what they're gonna do

It's a shame because I really like this gun, but I'm having a horrible experience with Smith, who I know has a reputation for excellence in this department... ugh.
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

:eek: The slide is not a huge expense outa SW's budget; I almost wonder if it actually made it to SW?? If it did, they HAD to have some paperwork on it. There should be at the bare minimum a shipping paperwork trail that you should be able to verify with the GS.
    I'd be a little :mad: and alot :confused::confused:; hope you can get it worked out.
  7. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

As I was reading this I realized that I have A S&W M&P 9mm compact so I took off the slide just to check it out and mine is totally smooth. If it looked like yours I would be Po'ed. I'd be on their butts big time. Hope you get it fixed to your satisfaction.
  8. New Guy

New Guy New Member

I know for a fact that S&W received it the first time because I called them to make sure.

The shop called S&W customer care today but didn't hear back from them. I told the shop to let me know once they send it to Smith and I'll pry call them and express my displeasure to see if they'll rush it this time. I bought this thing in January and I've now been without it more than I've had it.