1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Did the February SOG flyer seem...

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/8/02 10:42:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Did the February SOG flyer seem...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ...pretty average to you too?

Maybe it's because I can't get excited over Carcanos, yathink?

If I had a choice between a $9.87 Century M44 parts gun w/o bolt and a VG Carcano M91 carbine complete for the same price, I think I'd have to think about it for awhile.....
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Edited by: polishshooter at: 2/8/02 10:44:43 pm

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/9/02 12:33:03 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Did the February SOG flyer seem...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What you need to be thinking is "swedish steel".

swede
    Wyoming Swede

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/9/02 12:50:41 am)
    Yeah, I keep looking at those SOG Swedes for $169....

Or were you saying those Carcanos were made with Swedish Steel? Hell, they shoulda given them the CARTRIDGE instead...

I wonder if the sorry Italian crap they used in WWI and II is why I hate Berettas today...I mean the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

Beretta made a BLOWBACK LMG using a full house 8mm round, and did all kinds of stuff to make the recoil of the bolt less violent, then started having the heads rip off the cartridge, so decided to "flute" the chambers, to make the cartridge case stick less, that didn't work, so they incorporated an internal oiler like a chainsaw to squirt oil in the chamber automatically to help extraction, and it WORKED. (on the range) So well that when the gun started having failures to feed, they put an oiler on the mag loader to keep the cartridges and mag oiled....

And then they proceeded to use this ugly angular oil dripping piece of crap in the DESERT, where sand and grit mixed with the oil and gunked up the whole thing, AND found itself in all those chamber flutes that were a bear to clean...

And they had NO better LMG design so they kept on using it...

Wonder why I bitched when the US Army went to the Beretta, and Dano keeps french kissing his?

Beretta REALLY has a shaky past...

The Italians OTHER LMG used a 25 round feed strip like a Hotchkiss...but the mechanism stripped the round from the strip, chambered and fired it, THEN PLACED THE EMPTY CASE BACK INTO THE STRIP before feeding another...

Kept the range neat, but now you have to pull all the empties off before you could reload the strip...plus I think they used an oiler on that one too...

And an Italian gun killed Kennedy....
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/9/02 4:53:27 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Did the February SOG flyer seem...
    Excuse me but what is wrong with Carcano's? I've got a Turkish Carcano in 8mm and it sure seems to be a good rifle.

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/9/02 9:41:34 am)
    Sorry T... the only thing wrong with a Carcano is that it wishes it was a swedish mauser. Once you shoot a swede mauser...you'll never go back to your enfield.

swede
    Wyoming Swede

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/9/02 10:22:21 am)
    Polishshooter - one good deal I saw in the Feb. flyer is the Star Model B Pistols at $169.95, or three for $149.95 each. I am seriously thinking (after a paycheck comes in!) of ordering three -----
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/9/02 10:26:22 am)
    A Turkish Carcano? In 8mm?

Are you sure you don't mean a Turkish Mauser in 8mm?

I'm not sure I would be shooting ANY Carcano in 8mm...

My prejudice, even if it is unjustified, is based not only on the checkered history of the Italian firearms history since the invention of smokeless powder, but also on the fact the only old military rifle I ever saw that split a case and blow gas back into the shooters face (my bro-in-law) was a Carcano carbine, the SAME model that supposedly killed Kennedy.

Otherwise known as the rifle "that never killed anybody on purpose..."

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/9/02 10:40:23 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    polishshooter - it is a Turkish Mauser (Carcano) in 8mm.

It's shorter than the full size Mauser, it's already got the bent bolt if I want to put a scope on it - and it's stock as far as I know.

Now if myself and my friend (who has the other one) are wrong in thinking it's a Carcano style - I'm all ears.

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/9/02 10:40:39 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    polishshooter - it is a Turkish Mauser (Carcano) in 8mm.

It's shorter than the full size Mauser, it's already got the bent bolt if I want to put a scope on it - and it's stock as far as I know.

Now if myself and my friend (who has the other one) are wrong in thinking it's a Carcano style - I'm all ears.

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (2/9/02 5:00:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Dang T, drive that point across . (I know it wasn't you as ezboard does that sometimes)

I wouldn't doubt it Polish. There's no telling what the Turks made their rifles from. I have even seen a K. Kale marked Turk mauser made from an enfield receiver.

The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

velvetnsteel
    (2/9/02 6:45:42 pm)
    I liked the Star pistols......may buy one for myself.

Polish.........ya may as well take the plunge and get a Swede. Then you will understand. Look at Samco. They have some good ones left. Ya better hurry cause the price is climbing. In fact, my brother in Florida has a 96 for sale.

T.........if you have a Turkish 8 X 57, it ain't a Carcano. I do recall seeing Springfield Sporters selling an 8MM Carcano though. Some years ago. Your Turkish with the turndown bolt should have a 24 inch tube, whereas most of them are 29.

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/9/02 7:49:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    velvet - when they were selling these Turkish Mausers (and this was a good 5 to 7 years ago), they were selling them as a Turkish Mauser in 8mm Carcano style. I've got one and it does have the turned down bolt. In fairly decent condition even though the numbers don't match.

Sorry about the triple posting - first time it ever happened to me and soon to be corrected.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/9/02 9:55:56 pm)
    Blame it on the tri-focals, "T".