The Firearms Forum banner

did you guys noticed the surplus of ammo

2K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  howlnmad 
#1 ·
so far in the last 3 trips to wallmart not only they had 22lr on the shelf at a good price but everything else was stocked up.

I was at cabelas over the weekend, powders, primers, ammo, guns, you name it, for federal 22ls for $3/50, SB primers for $24? sales on shotshells and SD ammo of all kinds, this sucks no more hunting for deals, there are everywhere, Academy shows a deal on 500rd Winchester for $28 shipped.

what happened, CA cant buy ammo anymore so the trucks have been diverted my way? maybe the democrats gave up suppressing the market or people stopped stocking up?

#2 ·
I was in wally world yesterday and for the first time in ages, I did not walk down to the sorting goods department to look at the ammo situation. The time before, was last Friday and I did check out sporting goods and the shelves were pretty much full. They even had CCI .22LR in 50 round boxes for $3.49. That was the first time in over 8 years that they had that in stock, while I was there anyway. It was still behind the counter locked in the gun enclosure, but it was there!! Things are looking up!!

#5 ·
Two different Walmart's within short driving distance, the local one the ammo shelves have hardly any rifle ammo, 6 boxes of 45acp no 9mm a ton of 40S&W a ton of Shotgun ammo and no 22's. The other Walmart a 30 minute drive the shelves are Jam Packed with what ever you want even 45-70 Gov. Local Cabela's has a great stock of Handgun ammo, Rifle Ammo, 22LR and Short, not so much 22Magnum, a lot of 17HMR, rifle powder is good, handgun powder is lacking. Handgun cartridge components are well stocked, not nearly as good for Rifle Cartridge Components except for 270. Lots of 180gr 200gr 30 cal FMJ only one selection of 30 cal 150 gr unless you want to pay for noseler at over $30 for a box of 50.

#8 ·
Go figure, in the Walmarts around here, the ones that sell guns don't have reloading related items, but a few miles further south (100 miles) the two walmarts I had chance to go to didn't sell guns but sold Ammo, Primers, and reloading equipment (all RCBS) including Dies and even RCBS Supreme Master Reloading Kits at cheaper prices that you can get them at other Gun Related Sporting Goods Stores. I was shocked to see this. I ask the Sporting Goods manager at both these and they said they didn't sell guns because nobody them from that store, but you could order them online for site to store delivery (Rifles only)

#10 ·
I wish the local Walmart's around me would start selling reloading supplies and equipment. Most of the LGS's around here don't even stock any. And the few that do do not sell a whole bunch. One shop that I really like will order any equipment you want (except Dillon) but they only stock Hornady in the store. The Closest LGS to me stocks Components including powder, cases (new and once fired) and bullets, but no primers.

Reactions: firefighter1635
#11 ·
Not a lot of 22lr around here. It's better than it has been but you still have to look. All other ammo is readily available.

When Trump takes over the White House he may find the basement stocked from floor to ceiling with 22lr shells. :)

#14 ·
Yes, I'm very happy to see it as well! My last trip to Walmart they had 22 short, 22 mag, tons of 100 pack cci 22 and a good stock of everything else (except for the beloved perfecta 223). 2 Years ago I didn't consider even buying a 22, I've owned one 22 rifle since I turned 18. But ever since 22 has been trickling in, (and now actually available) I bought a Ruger 22/45 lite and I'm looking into buying both a 10/22 and some sort of 22 revolver. Not only is 22 good on the pocket, its a very enjoyable round to shoot!

#16 ·
The Walmart in Jacksonville, IL. told me it was illegal for them to sell ammo to anyone from FL. I checked with the State Police. They told me Walmart was full of it! It's a company policy, not a State law. Now there's nothing in Walmart I want to buy. That's my company policy!

#18 ·
That's not company policy. This summer I bought ammo in Kansas and Arizona. I also bought some in Georgia when I went to the BBQ. All you need in Illinois to buy ammo is a drivers licence. If you are a citizen of Illinois you need a FOID card. I think you just ran into an uninformed clerk.

#19 ·
Here in Thurston County WA, I didn't even need to show my ID to buy Ammo. But in King County they had to see an ID card, and make a Log Book entry at the Walmart there for Ammo Sales. Don't know if that was because of the per round tax or not, there is no per round tax on Ammo in Thurston County.

#20 ·
Ammo is becoming more available here too.

BTW, have you guys heard of targetsportusa? I recently found them and they seem to have a lot of 22lr in stock. Must have good supply too because they sold out and got another shipment promptly. Another good sign that ammo production is beginning to keep up with demand.. Anyway, haven't bought from them yet, but I see I can order Federal Automatch by the case.

#21 ·
I believe that all the ammo and component suppliers have finally caught up with their back orders. Pres. Berry put the scare in a lot of people some years back and every one was stock pilling factory ammo and loading components. 22 lr was at the bottom of the list as far as the ammo companies where concerned several dealers told me.

I purchased two bricks of match primers from some one recently who was one of those hoarders.

#22 ·
It wasn't all that long ago in Oregon, a piece was run in the news that the feds were only allowing a certain number of 22Lr and 22Mag to released in the state per month, then the real ammo crunch hit, the stores that sold ammo would only put so much on the store shelf each day, when they were sold out that day, they wouldn't put more out till the next day and you had to be in line at the ammo counter by 8 am to be able to buy that days allotment, if you were too far back in the line you just wasted our time until the next day. There was better chance of buying Rifle ammo than 22 or handgun ammo.

#25 ·
To be clear, we in CA after the first of the year can still buy ammo but....

We have to buy a license which probably means a state review to see if they will issue the license. Next pay up to $50 (???) for the two year license. There after every ammo sale will be registered at the dealer and I assume that info will go to the CA DOJ (??). No ammo may be imported except legally by ammo dealers. I have seen nothing in writing in the way of regulations yet and I am not sure if Jan 1st is even the start date (???).

As I reload and only buy 22 ammo and have a bunch of surplus ammo for some of my military guns, I probably will not get the license. My 22 ammo stores are pretty full now. My hope is the law will be challenged and over turned but who know if and when that might happen???

LDBennett

#26 ·
Glad to hear ammo and reloading supplies are comming back to some of the areas effected by the shortage. Here in my part of Ohio the shortage got bad, real bad, but it didn't last more than a year. For quite some time now there's been so much of what you'd want you'd literally need a semi to haul it away if you had the money for it.

With the beast losing to Trump, everyone will have the chance, and opurtunity to get what they need. Get it! I don't want to hear any whining the next time liberals are in power.;)

#29 ·
I only have 600 rounds each of 45ACP and 40S&W factory ammo. I have 1000 rounds of 45ACP Reloads mostly Hollow Point. And 1200 rounds 40S&W Flat Nose and Hollow Point combined. My factory Ammo is my emergency reserve. With exception of Cases I always try to keep 500 bullets of each caliber, Primers and powders for Pistol on hand. Unless I find an very good deal on either of these calibers I won't be adding any factory ammo for these any time soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.