Did you sign secession petition?

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by gvw3, Nov 15, 2012.

1. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Among the enumerated disqualifying triggers in U.S. Code rendering one a prohibited person, forbidden by federal law to own a gun, is someone “who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his citizenship.

“I don’t want my name on any lists” is a familiar, albeit ironic and lame excuse some gun owners give for not engaging in activism, as if Americans in general and gun owners in particular are not already on more lists than they could imagine. In this case, the slackers may have a point, depending on how a particular document is worded, and noting who maintains the “We The People” petition site

http://www.examiner.com/article/secession-furor-could-pose-unintended-consequences-for-gun-owners .:eek:
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  2. 01brian

01brian New Member

i got a 404 on the link
  3. gvw3

4. gvw3

Here is part of the code.

It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person—
    (1) is under indictment for, or has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
    (2) is a fugitive from justice;
    (3) is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802));
    (4) has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution;
    (5) who, being an alien—
    (A) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or
    (B) except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 (a)(26)));
    (6) who [2] has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
    (7) who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his citizenship;

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922
  5. 01brian

01brian New Member

Interesting. Tango's 'signature' comes to mind.
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I would assume that signing a petition requesting self-government does not qualify as a renunciation of citizenship.

Of course, I think the petitions are stupid. The first Republican hero long ago taught us that the consent of the governed is not required for the US government to assert its authority (and kill over hundreds of thousands citizens in the process).
  7. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

I've spent my adult life doing what I could to make this country better. My contributions have been tiny in the big scheme of things, but at least I've done a few things that were valued by others. Many of whom don't have a clue that I even exist.

Why would I want to associate myself with a bunch of cut 'n run immature buttheads?

No I did not sign any of those pos petitions, and never will.
  8. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

I wondered when somebody would think of this and mention it.
  9. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

I looked over a lot of the petitions and noted that in a large number of them, the person who initiated it did not even live in the state supposedly requesting it, or used a fake name or did not list their location. In some I noted that a large LARGE percentage of those who signed it lived in other states, so the total numbers shown on these are bogus.

I did however sign the one to allow states to run their own legal marijuana programs...
  10. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

All that they did by signing those petitions is give his majesty names and information to round them up when things go sideways.
  11. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

i don't trust anything like this on the internet. if there was an actual petition going around requesting secession, i would sign in a heartbeat, but it's too easy for something on the internet to be messed with. for all we know, 90% of the signatures were added by someone going through the phone book picking out names at random.
  12. gvw3

A member of the forum posted a petition to have all states honor each other states conceal carry permits. I did sign that petition.
  13. musketshooter

musketshooter New Member

If you sign that petition and it is turned into a government agency, you will be forever listed in their minds as a nutcase. I would never willingly associate myself with any action that could be interperted as subversive. Give this petition business a lot of thought before signing on. Government agencies have long memories.
  14. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I'm not signing anything; bureaucracy in this country no longer works. I'll spend my time reloading and taking care of my business. There could be a billion signatures on a petition that is based on pure common sense and it won't make it through our legislature system IMO. Pretty much just fed up with politics after this last fiasco. I'll still vote and do what I can, but there is no hope for our gov't ever turning this country around. I'm just going to prepare for the economic crash and continue to pray and continue to live my life and enjoy it.
  15. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I sign a lot of petitions but not this one. As the UNITED states we are strong, separately we are no stronger than European, Asian or South American countries.