Die Cleaning?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Over The Hill, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Over The Hill

Over The Hill New Member

Should Carbide Dies be cleaned? If so with what? And how often. Mine look a little dirty inside. I tried to blow them out with compressed air - didn't work very well.
  2. army mp

army mp Member

I shoot a lot of cast bullets. But clean all my dies the same. Even the rifle that I load jacketed only in. I run a dry patch threw with a pistol cleaning rod, then Hopps bore cleaner. And finish off with a little WD-40. I don’t think I would use an air compressor. You will get some moisture
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

take em apart and clean them after each use. I use rem oil to clean mine. The soot from fired cases and minute amounts of brass shavings built up and create a brownish paste that can be pretty hard to get off if you neglect it. Build up is worse in the dies that work the brass. My bullet seating dies dont really get that dirty unless im loading cast lead lubed with alox, that stuff makes a fricken mess...
  4. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

I run a chamber mop up into my dies to clean them out, and coat lightly with Rem Oil. I personally would not use any sort of penetrating lube (like wd-40) because they have the possibility to get sticky after sitting for a while. (This is because they are more volatile then oils). It may be difficult to wipe the penetrating lube out before the next use if it will be a while.
  5. Over The Hill

Over The Hill New Member

OK. Thanks guys. I'll be cleaning dies tonight!:D
  6. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Another lesson learned by me. Good advice and something that I had never thought about.