Die Hard Beretta 92F Question

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Blimp Edwards, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Blimp Edwards

Blimp Edwards New Member

This is a totally random question, being asked by someone that knows just about nothing about guns. I've always wondered about it, though.

In Die Hard, Willis wields a Beretta 92F. This is a semi-auto handgun, yes? So why in that scene where he's hiding in the vent does he pull the hammer back, as if in preparation to shoot, when the terrorists come in? Once the terrorists exit, he sighs in relief in carefully releases the hammer. I'm sure there's a reason but I could never figure out what it was. But again, I'm a complete novice.

Dan
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Double action only is when you pull the trigger, and cock the hammer. This requires a lot more trigger pull, and a lot more trigger travel. Single action, cock the hammer, and you eliminate the long trigger pull, and the "stacking" of the trigger. This will give you the most accurate shot you can make.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

all theatrical drama building. I don't know the exact scene that you're describing, it's been awhile since I've seen the movie. What I do know is that the 92F does not need to have the hammer pulled back to fire if there is a round in the chamber. It's a DA/SA design. Double action of the trigger sets the hammer on the first pull, then the action sets the hammer on subsequent shots with a single action trigger pull.
  4. Blimp Edwards

Blimp Edwards New Member

Understood. Thanks!

Dan
  5. fourniermod11

fourniermod11 New Member

keep targer in line and confirme the security not engage...
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Blimp Edwards:

From the situation of the hammer down and a live round in the chamber you have two ways of firing the Beretta.

1). Pull the trigger. The hammer is cocked then released and the gun fires. The slide moves to the rear, ejects the empty, cocks the hammer, and the slide travels forward stripping a fresh round into the chamber.

2). Cock the hammer, pull the trigger, hammer is released and the gun fires. The slide moves to the rear, ejects the empty, cocks the hammer, and the slide travels forward stripping a fresh round in the chamber.

The first is called double action: the hammer is cocked and the gun fired.

The second is single action: you cock the hammer and pull the trigger and the gun is fired.

The difference is the amount of effort it takes in pulling the trigger. Double action takes a pull usually above 10 lbs whereas single action pull is usually below 5 lbs. A person can usually shoot closer to point of aim in the single action mode.

But note that after the first double action pull the gun reverts to single action from then on unless you de-cock the gun. This is called double action/single action (DA/SA). Some guns have a safety feature that allow you de-cocking between shots. Double action only guns shoot then automatically de-cock (DA only).

LDBennett
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

IMO Carver and LD Bennett are both correct. That is interesting that Blimp asked that question because I seldom watch movies but the scene that he described in the movie is very memorable. The way he cocks the gun and decocks the gun also builds on the drama however whoever wrote that part of the movie must have had a working knowledge of the Baretta FS92 which is rare in movies.
  8. gunslinger69

gunslinger69 New Member

Just to continue this thread I would also ask if I'm the only one who thinks it was a bad idea for the terrorists to shoot an AT weapon through a pane of glass? not to mention the backblast. Anyone?
  9. Blimp Edwards

Blimp Edwards New Member

So if you fire it first in DA, you have to fire SA all subsequent shots? The opposite is also true, then? If you fire in SA the first round, you can just squeeze away from then on? Very interesting. You could argue that that's why McClane would have pulled the hammer back in anticipation of a gun fight, so that he didn't have to cock it manually if more shots were fired. If I'm understanding this correctly.

Dan
  10. Blimp Edwards

Blimp Edwards New Member

Okay, nevermind. After re-reading I think I understand. I took the line "But note that after the first double action pull the gun reverts to single action from then on unless you de-cock the gun." to mean that you had to manually cock the gun as if shooting a SA firearm every time, but now I see that it means the slide cocks the gun for you.

Got it.

Dan