die question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hunter29180, Jan 30, 2011.

1. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

got the lee "Caliper in a box" set for 45lc..as a first time reloader didnt wish to spend hundreds, only to find i did not like reloading...

heres question..should i decide i DO like reloading..will these dies work in a regular press either lee or another manufacturer?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Huh?

I've never heard of "caliper in a box", and apparently neither has Google. In case that was a typo, I tried "caliber in a box", and that was also no good. Can't find either of those terms on Lee's website.

You got a picture, or a link, or a description?
  3. hunter29180

sorry about that its called Classic Lee Loader

common name is caliber in a box as it contains every thing needed to reload a single caliber except the case,primer,powder and bullet..
  4. gary0529

gary0529 Member

Hunter,
    Do you mean the Lee set that you pound the case into the die with a leather or plastic mallet?

If so, it is how I got my start 50 years ago, yeah, it works but trust me get the Lee Anniversary press kit or whatever they call it and you will be 1000 times happier.

I got the bug for reloading as a 12year old kid and many many thousands of dollars and guns and calibers later I still love it.
    It can become an addiction esp. if you are interested in accuracy or have an obscure caliber.
    If it is just a matter of thinking you will save money, think again. I place NO value on the time I spend reloading and if you do, you can probably buy plinking ammo for less, especially in the common calibers and loadings.

Examine why you want to start reloading or better yet ask around at the range or gun club and find someone who does reload.
    I have started a half dozen over the years.
    Perhaps they might invite you to the reloading shed with them and try out their stuff before you jump in.
    Buy a pound of powder, box of primers and some appropriate bullets and have at it for not too much of an investment.

Just an idea.

Gary
  5. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Plus a loading manual or two.
  6. hunter29180

yep thats the set i got!! if i do like reloading am consitering the Lee classic turrant press..dont ever think i will need to do over 100 or so round a month..
    as far as "visiting the shed" probably never happen..only shooting ranges near me are a indoor range where you are treated like dog pooh and a public one on DNR land where i have not run into anyone at when i go!

would love to find someone near me to take me under their "wing" to help me learn this hobby properly, but can get by if not as am a country boy and believe in taking it slow..past experience hase showen fast will get me into much trouble!

as to why? 45lc is almost non exsistant near me unless am willing to pay $35-$50 per 25 round box..which im not..so if i reload one size might as well learn to load all the ones i load!

as getting someone to reload for me? i wouldnt want that responsibility on my shoulder so why ask someone else to shoulder it for me? if something should go wrong would hate to see a budding friendship go down the drain over a lawsuit.

and Gunclinger figure need at least 4 or 20 manuels
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Okay, as to your original question - no. The Lee Loader die will not screw into a press. If you decide to go with a press you will need new dies and a shell holder.