Die sets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by AR guy, Nov 20, 2012.

1. dbach

dbach Member

I have mostly RCBS and a very few LEE. The LEE dies seem to function as well as the RCBS.

LEE dies do not have a conventional lock ring or a locking ring on the bullet seater stem. The decapping pin locking mechanism is troublesome (for me) as well. LEE also uses unconventional materials, Aluminum or plastic in some cases.

All in all I prefer the RCBS. However the LEE dies function well once you overcome what I see as shortcomings.
  2. 243winxb

243winxb New Member

Re: 9 MM Die sets-Tungsten carbide vs. Titanium nitride coatings

RCBS Tungsten carbide vs. Hornady Titanium nitride coating. The coating can wear off. Lee is Tungsten Carbide also.
  3. RandyP

RandyP Member

For those who don't like the Lee o-ring lock ring (I dunno, set just finger tight they always hold for me), Lee now offers their breech lock bushing with a built in set screw lock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/21...gs-with-die-lock-ring-eliminator-package-of-2

I know that rainbow wars are sadly inevitable, but perhaps we can agreee to agree that none of the players make junk, nor does MY personal preference in manufacturer mean that YOUR personal preference was a 'wrong' choice for you. My liking Lee is NOT an insult or affront to the manhood of anyone else liking some other brand. I mean, Crikey!, it's just reloading gear.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

I tend to agree.

I view LEE equipment as either basic entry, or a stepping stone way to build up and decide if you do or do not like reloading.

I'd hate to see a guy pop in.. hear that 'he's not a real man' because he doesn't start right off with a 300$ press at a minimum,,, etc.. then 2 weeks later decide he REALLY doesn't care for reloading.. then have to take a bath on it.

that could have been a rockchucker starter kit for 300$ or a lee classic kit for 100$

Also.. I have a couple calibers that I will ONLY relaod on a very, very limited basis.. simply because I will not be using that caliber often. why spend money on a die set that will load a million rounds, when I'm never going to load 1000 of that type in my life? surely the lee will do it and I don't need a spendy dillon? :)

on the flip side.. my staple 3006 die is an rcbs... etc.

starting with lee equipment has other tangible benifits.

1, after you are into it a bit and decide you really like it. lets face it? 100$ really? what is that. You can use it as a 2nd or spar press station.. OR find someone else and get them into relaoding and make a gift of your used lee equipment and then have a son/daughter/neighbor/friend in the relaoding hobby. I shoot plenty of guns that have 20rnd boxes of ammo that cost in the 80-150$ range retail. first 2 boxes of 416rigby I bought off the shelf cost MORE than a basic lee reload kit with ALL the basic add on tools you needed to load pistol and rifle, plus a set of dies to start with AND powders, AND primers, and a trim tool..etc...

all the equipment out there has it's uses..

as I mentioned.. some of the odd stuff I shoot.. 375 H&H, 300 weatherbymag, 458 winmag/lott, 416 rigby. Lets face it. i'm not mass producing ammo for them :) shoulder won't take it. On the flip side. a 30$ die set sure beats a 140$ box of ammo :)
  5. bustedmp

bustedmp New Member

I started with a LEE Challenger kit About 8yrs ago, and still have it. A few yrs later I got a LEE Classic cast press. All of my dies are LEE and the ammo they produce shoots better than most off the shelf ammo. The only thing I have stopped using in my collection is the LEE case trimmers, they just don't last. I have a lyman trimmer with a carbide cutter that is way faster than the LEE trimmers and adjustable. The LEE scale is next to go, it is an ok scale, but after using a lyman scale, the LEE is just a paper weight compared to it. Will I change to different dies, I don't know. i haven't had any issues with the collets on my dies as of yet, but I use graphite to lube the collets. The lock nuts are rahter cheap compared to others, but when set up as lee suggests, they do the job. The lee presses don't cam over like others, so there isn't a need to have a solid lock up of the die, the oring lock nut just holds the die in place so it doesn't move. I have loaded quite a few rounds with the 30-06 dies and they still produce good rounds. There may be better dies, but these work good for me. The guy that taught me how to reload uses dillon equipment because he has to have the best of the best.
  6. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

Well I am in the minority. I have only used Lee and Dillon dies. I like Lee dies better. I change bullet profiles a lot and to adjust a Dillon die you have to screw the die in or out Lee dies are much easier to adjust. I can understand not liking the Lee lock rings on a single stage press but as far as a turret or progressive I don't see where it matters. I use Lee dies on my Lee classic turret and Dillon 550 and have never had a die go out of adjustment. As far as having to replace a bunch of parts with Lee dies I haven't had that experience, all of my Lee dies have worked since the day I bought them problem free.
  7. sting75ray

sting75ray Active Member

Lyman T-Mag press with RCBS dies is all I use for everything I load.
  8. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

unless of course you actually wanted to thread the die out and thread in another die, and not have to totally re-setup the die you just took out because it has no hard / fast lockup...
  9. bustedmp

bustedmp New Member

My lee rifle dies are screwed down to touch the shell holder plus a 1/4 turn, easy set. I haven't had an issue with them yet. My 44 spl/mag dies are set up different depending on if loading 44spcl or 44mag. I don't relaod 44spcl, so one of the dies does not touch the shell holder and would be nice to have a normal lock ring on it. Until I get my turrent or progressive press the lee lock rings work for me.