die trouble

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by zkovach, Dec 20, 2009.

1. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Well i got my lee reloading kit in and installed it on my bench. I tumbled my brass and started to de-prime and resize them. I really was scared to put to much lube on the bullet as the manual said however it was really tough to resize. I started to use more lube and it worked a lot smoother. Then complete failure I went to resize another bullet and the primer pin broke and a bullet jammed in the die. What was it that i did wrong. dies were rcbs in .308 full length.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Your terminology is confusing.

You went to resize another CASE, and the DECAPPING PIN broke, and a CASE is jammed in the die?

I don't know what you might have done to stick a case (although, usually is is lack of lube) but if you did, the only way to remove it is a stuck case puller. Costs about 15 bucks. If you're like me, after the first time, you'll never need it again. :D

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...949&categoryString=9315***731***702***9339***
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Sounds like you may be getting a little overzealous here. You are resizing a cartrige or brass. A bullet is a projectile which is seated at the end of the reloading process. Help us out by describing how you apply your lubricant. Several things may have happend to break your decapping pin, and the stuck case is positively a sign of under-lubricating your brass. You may find a stuck case removing tool very helpful if you are reloading bottle neck cartriges.
  4. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Sounds like the case was not fully seated correctly in the shell holder causing the case to bind in the die thus sticking and breaking the decapping pin. Remove the decapping threaded adjustment screw and try tapping out the case with a small rod.
  5. scrat

scrat New Member

+1
  6. Doug B.

Doug B. New Member

7. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

will do thanks guys!