1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Dies for lead 30-30

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by korny351, Mar 19, 2012.

1. korny351

korny351 New Member

I've decided to dust off the old Winchester and reload with lead. Back when I loaded for it I was using RCBS steel dies circa 1974. My concern is that these dies offer very little in the way of flare and will result in shaved lead. RCBS catalog shows a 3-die Cowboy set aimed specifically at reloading with lead. Does anyone use this set? Does it perform as advertised? Anyone loading 30-30 with lead using the standard RCBS dies and do you have any issues doing so? Bullets to be used are 165 gr RNFP .309 dia.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I bought a Lyman M die in 30 caliber. Worked fine, and I could use it in all my 30s - 308, ought six, 7.62x39, whatever. It's just the expander die, but is made for belling for lead bullets.
  3. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

The only cast bullets that I've loaded in .30-30 were a bevel-base 170g flat point so wasn't any concern with getting them in the case. They were given to me in a ziploc bag so no idea where they came from. I only loaded a handful and the rest (maybe 50) are around here somewhere I think.
  4. korny351

korny351 New Member

Without any feedback on the RCBS cowboy die set, I think I'll hold off and try what I have. If I run into any problems that die set is only a phone call and $60 away.
  5. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Have you tried a lyman VLD case chamfer tool?
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I went to RCBS's site and looked at their cowboy dies. It's a 3-die set. They have, apparently, copied the Lyman M die and added it to their regular dies, making the "cowboy dies". Looks to me to be the only difference.
  9. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

I use the Lee expander die for many different applications. It's a handy die and well worth the 15 bucks it cost. It stays screwed into the tool head most of the time.

My question, I don't cast. I want to load some .30-30 who do you reccomend for some cast bullets? I want to shoot steel targets Not deer
  10. korny351

korny351 New Member

Missouri Bullet shows RNFP bullets in 135 gr. and 165 gr. If you're already one of their customers you're go to go. I understand that they are no longer taking on new retail customers at this time. Mastercast Bullet also show a 165 gr. bullet but don't show a price. You'll have to email or call for pricing.

www.missouribullet.com

www.mastercastbullets.com
  11. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

I've got a bunch of 150 gr. flatpoint gas check bullets here at the house that I've cast...would send you a good sample if you'd be interested Rooster.