Difference between 1911 and regular pistol?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by bigred6906, Aug 17, 2006.

1. bigred6906

bigred6906 New Member

I'm new to the gun scene and I hear many people praising "1911" pistols. What makes the 1911 type pistol different from the rest?
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Beats me. :p

Maybe I'm not the right guy to answer your question. :D

Someone should be along shortly, that can. ;)
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Parts aside it mainly comes down to Frame size and overall design
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

The 1911 is pure John Browning metal; the others are, mainly, plastic/tupperware molded to look like the 1911.

:D :D :D :D
  5. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Just can't beat that tupperware feeling.:D
  6. berto64

berto64 Active Member

bigred,

The 1911 is popular because of it's heritage, history and reliability. And it does have that 'all steel' thing going for it.

Most older US veterans that carried one in the service still swear by them. I know I do. All three of mine are dependable shooters from the gitgo!
  7. Ursus

Ursus New Member

I don't know how do you define "regular" but the answer to your question would be easier if I coul'd know that. Generally, in my book, it has to do with the single action mode, wich allows easier hits.

Its a very ergonomic design. Put one, flat in you open hand, cocked and locked and, as you close your hand you´ll see that you are depressing the grip safety, gripping the butt, taking the safety off, and pressing the trigger in one simple and natural motion.(Closing you open hand).
    Sorry I have to leave to work so as Arnold said: "I'll be back!".
  8. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi big red.....welcome to TFF! :)

That's a deceptively tough question, but here's my best take on it......

The M1911 was one of the earliest automatic pistols designed, and one of first adopted by a major nation (the United States) as it's official military sidearm.

Compared to earlier (and many later) pistols designs, it's simple, rugged, reliable and accurate.....and it's cartridge, .45ACP, is a proven man-stopper.

Given it's history through many wars....WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam.....and many years of civilian competition and self-defense carry.....it's acquired a certain mystique as the standard of what a large bore auto pistol should be.

And.....it was invented and designed by the greatest firearms genius who ever lived, John M. Browning.

This a completely objective analysis.....the fact that I have a bunch of 'em is pure coincidence! :D :D :D
  9. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

A - M E N !!!
  10. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

My God, you don't knowhow good it felt just to SEE the post by X, much LESS the BRILLIANCE of his ANSWER...

Good to hear from you again X!:)

Just my two centavos, another reason is just the longevity of the basic design...while there were MANY contemporary automatic designs on the market around 100 years ago, the Borchardt, the Luger, the Savage, and others, there really has been NO other design to last anywhere NEAR that long, as a viable defense and military pistol, much LESS the fact it just may be MORE popular today than it ever has been!

IT really is the design by which ALL other defense or military designs since are measured....
  11. stash247

stash247 New Member

Let me offer; the 1911 family of arms IS the "Regular Pistol", and all others, by that statement, are 'irregular pistols' !
    What Xracer offered is all true, but almost 'Damning, by faint praise', of the design; describe another pistol design capable of 1 1/2" accuracy, at 50 yards, reliability in any theater or condition, conceivable, that will run on anything you put in the magazine, and that will statistically endure in excess of 50 K rounds, without Major Component failure!
    The only other pistol that comes close to this is the Browning P-35/ Hi Power, and then, only with a bit of tweaking; reliability, durability, are comparable; Trigger quality, and accuracy, somewhat less. Also a JMB design, with higher capacity, less power, and more parts, designed as as an 'improvement', on the already best thing going!
    I would, and have, bet my life on either pistol, and am posting, tonight, which may be a small endorsement of their worth, and functionality,given my background of 'Playing in the dark', with others, less well armed.
    53 parts, complete, 43, and fully functional ( 0mit the grip screws, bushings,and grips), is a claim to engineerng excellence, in my book!
    Purpose Built, from the gate, to be a martial pistol, it has endured over a century of service, two world wars, countless minor wars, and is still the weapon of choice, when the fighting gets serious, for many warriors.
    After over 40 years of personal use of the weapon, I am sure I will never need to "upgrade" to a "better" weapon!
    I suppose that is the difference.
  12. Ursus

Ursus New Member

Glad to see you back Xracer!!
  13. bigred6906

bigred6906 New Member

thanks for the help guys....i now have a better idea of what a "1911" pistol is.....
  14. polishshooter

And oh yeah, the design is such that even a hamfisted Polak (like me!) can BUILD one from scratch that lasts over 100000 rds and is still going strong, and could even win a few "C" class matches in that time, and hold his own against the "Bs", and not be EMBARRASSED by the "A's", with some EXPENSIVE custom $2500 "race-gun" 1911s with it if he practiced with it enough....I'm not sure I could do that with ANY other handgun design....:eek: :p :D :D :D
  15. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

"Difference between 1911 and regular pistol?"

Define a regular pistol.
  16. polishshooter

"Regular Pistol" Definition: "Not a 1911.":cool: :D
  17. Tuttle

Tuttle New Member

Don't forget the 1911 feels like an extension of the hand and points like a finger. They got the angles and balance right on. Thanks JMB!
  18. And then, of course, along came Gaston Glock and made the 1911 pistol as obsolete as the match lock.

Just kidding, Guys! Just kidding!! :eek: :D ;) :p

Actually, what the others have said is absolutely true, at least in terms of a military weapon. I too have bet my life on it, Stash, and it never failed me, but I still say the damn thing is too heavy for civilian concealed carry!!! :D
  19. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

There are two gun designs that have a feel that is hard to beat. The 1911 and the SAA.
  20. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

you better be careful those 1911 guys are serious bunch and they liable to tar and feather. :rolleyes: :D
    I like them both but for carry glock 26 :D :D
    used to have LLama 380 in small 1911 pattern fire and handle very good broke in middle of firing repaired and gave away
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2006