Difference between .308 NATO and .308 winchester

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Mp15-22, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Mp15-22

Mp15-22 New Member

hi every body

my question is: a 308 NATO is exactly the same as the .308 winchester? Are there any diferences respecting the case design,i am about to use both of them in an enfield RFI 2A1 but i want to know if i can use both kinds in this rifle, almost everyone on the gun store said the the .308 NATO is less hotter than the .308 winchester. But they say that this rifle will take it.i Am a little insecure, so if you now something about this please let me know, i dont want the chamber to blow on me:confused:
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I'm not positive on this cuz I don't shoot or load 308, but it's my understanding that the NATO case has thicker case walls to withstand the abuse of full auto weapons and the primers may be crimped. If you are reloading these, it is my understanding that you should start with a reduced load in the NATO because of the wall thickness and internal pressure climb. Sorry if this doesn't help but LD should be along soon.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

.308 winchester commercial loads are loaded in the 65000 psi range. 7.62X51mm NATO is loaded in the 55000 psi range. If your gun says use .308 WIN, then by all means shoot both. If your gun says 7.62X51 NATO then better stick with just that...
  4. Mr.Moe

Mr.Moe New Member

My M1A has 308 Win stamped on the barrel but when I put a single 180 gr round in the barrel it dose not look like it goes in all the way and it will not fire. In fact i was given two M1A 's and nether will chamber an over the counter 180 gr 308 Winchester round. I'm doing this without a magazine. I'm simply sliding a single round into the barrel closing the receiver and pulling the trigger. The firing pin never touches the primer. What am I doing wrong?
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

From the way you explained it, "sliding a single round into the barrel closing the receiver", it sounds like you are riding the bolt down and the bolt is not completely closing. The gun is designed to have the bolt slam home with great force, under spring power. Just "closing the receiver", it might not be latching into place. Try putting one round in the magazine, loading the mag into the gun, then pulling the handle all the way back and letting it go. That should chamber and lock the action, and pulling the trigger should result in a "bang".

Having said all that, if I was you I would not use 180s. The M1 rifle is balanced to work with 150 grain ball ammo at a certain speed and pressure. Changing the weight or pressures can lead to a damaged op-rod. The M14 is a slightly modified M1, and the M1A is just a semi M14. Logic says to stick with ammo loaded to NATO spec. That means 147 grain bullets. If I was going to use mine for hunting, I'd use 150 grain bullets.

I might be being over-cautious, but I'd hate to damage my gun needlessly.
  6. al45lc

al45lc New Member

Unlike the .223 Rem and 5.56 x 45, S.A.A.M.I. doesn't list the .308 Win and the 7.62 NATO as a dangerous cartridge interchange.
    SOME 7.62s may have a shorter throat, and therefore not be suitable for longer, heavier bullets, but I'm not aware of any.
    Like the parent M-1 Garand, the M1-A is NOT intended for heavier bullets like those for hunting, and battering of the bolt stop is likely, so don't go heavier than 165 gr for general use.
  7. Mr.Moe

Mr.Moe New Member

Thanks!.....Now I'm glad it didn't fire. I'll get some 146 gr rounds before I try it again. I bet your right, I eased the bolt forward because I read somewhere it could possibly fire if the bolt slammed forward.
    You know better yet I think I'll find someone that knows what the _____ there doing before I take it out of the case again. For some reason I don't think I should be doing the old "trial error" routine. Thanks Again!

P.S. Anybody need a box 180 gr 308's? (just kidding)
  8. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Actually Moe I could prolly use some. Depending on where you are. If shippin the bad boys aint too steep. Send me a PM if you feel like