Difference between jacketed & plated bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by stev32k, Dec 7, 2012.

1. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

Can someone explain the difference between copper jacketed bullets and copper plated bullets? There is a difference in price and loading info., but why is this? Is it thickness of the copper, manufacturing cost, both, or something else?
  2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

most plated bullets you load to cast specs... it's real thin plating.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

yes, it's both. for a jacketed bullet, you have to manufacture the jacket and then form the bullet. plated bullets are formed and then coated with a very thin copper layer. Plated bullets are loaded to cast specs by manufacturer recommendations.
  4. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

There are a couple differences the thickness being one. They are also referred as total metal jacket as they are completely covered in copper. The full metal jackets are made first and are quite thicker then filled with lead, making them stronger but also making lead exposed at the end. The process is somewhat more complicated so it also makes it more expensive, making the other difference that I like to refer to. I reload berry's and like them very much. You cannot shoot them as hard as you can fmj but that sometimes (depending on your equipment or gun) makes them shoot better due to the lower speeds. You also need to be very careful in your loading processes so as to not to rip the fmj coating. I have not ripped any yet and am on my 2nd 1000 of Berry's now. Hope I have helped, if not there is a lot of info out there to research as I had many questions before I started reloading!
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

If you follow the same reloading rules and recipes as cast bullets (shoot at well under 1000FPS) the plated bullet reward you with no leading in the barrel.

Some here claim you can achieve that with properly sized cast bullet but I have not found that to be the case with commercially available cast bullets. I use Rainier plated bullet with good success. But most recently I have gone back to bulk Winchester and Remington jacketed bullet for my semi-autos because I was tending to see failure to feed properly with the Rainier plated bullets. But that may not be typical of the experience of others.

LDBennett
  6. armoredman

armoredman New Member

I cast my own lead bullets, and I see very little leading. :) On the other hand, I've loaded several thousand Berry's plated bullets, and they are darn good. Berry's states their bullets can be used to the midpoint of jacketed data, and the Thick Plate versions can go higher than that - my latest box of 9mm 115gr Hollow Base Round Nose Thick Plate states a max velocity of 1500FPS.
    Also, the core of a jacketed bullet, being supported by the jacket, tends to be dead soft lead, while plated bullets are harder cast lead, as the copper plating doesn't lend much support to the bullet. I currently load Berry's plated in both 9mm and 7.62x39mm. Good stuff, Maynard.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012