Difference Between Yugo M48 and M48A

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

the real fredneck
    (12/20/01 10:27:16 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Yugo M-48
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    is there a difference between a Yugo M-48 and a M-48A? if so, what?

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (12/20/01 5:52:46 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Yugo M-48
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The main difference between the two is that the M48 has a milled trigger housing and magazine floor plate while the M48a's are stamped.

the real fredneck
    (12/21/01 7:16:31 am)
    Thanks for the info Flhunter, do you know if J&G still has any of those nice ones, like you got, left?

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (12/21/01 3:30:08 pm)
    If it was me, I'd stay away from Mitchel's as they are asking a hundred or so more than they are worth. Best choice for me would be J&G, CDNN, or wholesale guns & ammo. You should be able to find one in excellent condition for $125 or less plus get a bayo or other accessories with it. If I had to do it all over again, I'd get the M48 just because it has a milled floor plate and trigger housing. Quality wise there is no difference. It's just my own personal preference. Also if you do decide on the M48 over the M48a who ever you order it from ask them if they seperate them. In other words, some suppliers make no difference between the two. You order a M48 and end up with an M48a or vise versa.

Good luck and please keep me informed as to what you decide to do and what condition your rifle comes in.

K75RT
    (12/21/01 8:18:34 pm)
    I just received two rifles from SOG. One is an M48A and the other is a Swiss K-31. The M48A is absolutely nice! the wood is nicely figured and the metal and bluing are excellent. These are a great buy, the M48A was 119.95. These guns are LOADED with grease, I cleaned the bolt yesterday...haven't started to take the barrel out of the wood, yet.

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (12/21/01 9:20:16 pm)
    K75RT; What kind of condition is the K-31 in? I just received mine today and haven't started working on it yet. It looks like there is not much if any cosmo on it and from what I can see it's matching(bolt,mag and barrel so far). I had no issue name under the butt plate.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

K75RT
    (12/22/01 9:53:03 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Swiss K-31
    Flhunter,
    The K-31 is in very good condition. The other night I took it out of the wood and cleaned the metal and cleaned the stock. You are right, they used grease very sparingly, the bore was greased but you could see down it. The bore cleaned up to be like a mirror! Mine is all matching and it had the owners tag under the plate.
    Mine has a beechwood stock, there were the ususal minor dents and dings most of which steamed out. I washed the stock with detergent to remove the gray. Once dry I used a mixture of Boiled Linseed Oil and Turpentine (2/3 BLO, 1/3T)
    I use #400 wet dry sand paper and a small sanding block, I add the BLOT and sand it into the stock. By doing small areas and sanding in circles the whiskers are removed. You'll have to wipe the mud raised and later hand rub, the stock takes on a nice sheen. I have to put a few more hand rubbed coats of the mixture and it should be done.
    The K-31 is a marvel of engineering and metal work! I am amazed at the fit and finish on these rifles. If you haven't seen it yet cruffler.com has a section on taking the bolt apart.