Differnce between Barnes Tipped TSX and VOR-TX ammunition?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Trevor1837, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

What's the difference between these two ammunitions because the VOR-TX comes in tipped TSX, is the VOR-TX just loaded more consistently? Thanks in advance
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

The VOR-TX line is just Barnes' entry into the loaded ammunition market.
    Depending on the caliber it will be loaded with one of several of the Barnes bullets (TSX, XPB, Tipped TSX, etc).
    If you check out the VOR-TX page on their website, you will see which calibers they have and which series/weight/style bullet is available in those calibers.
    http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/barnes-vor-tx-ammunition/

For many years, Barnes was just a component bullet manufacturer. They made the bullets for handloaders.
    Over the years, quite a few ammo manufacturers have used Barnes bullets in their "premium" ammo products so that non-handloaders could also have a chance to use Barnes bullets too.
    Barnes decided to get in on the loaded ammunition market themselves too a short while back so that's where the VOR-TX line of loaded ammo comes in.

Since you mentioned in your other thread that you had decided on the .270...
    The VOR-TX .270 load is loaded with the 130gr Tipped TSX boat-tail bullet.
    They do have some loads in other calibers that use the non-tipped TSX, but not for the .270.

I've used Barnes bullets in my loads for quite a few years now so I can offer some advice to you on using them.
    -The solid-copper Barnes bullets do require a little more attention to cleaning than standard bullets. Your cleaning regimen will definitely need to include using a copper fouling cleaner...especially in a new rifle that the bore hasn't been polished smooth from a few hundred rounds or thereabouts.
    A few passes with a copper fouling solvent should be part of your cleaning routine anyway, but it is a definite must with the Barnes bullets.
    -They can be finicky. I have seen several rifles that just absolutely did not like the Barnes bullets regardless of how much tuning you do with the load (velocity, bullet seating depth, etc). These variables aren't adjustable with the factory loaded ammo so what you get from the box is what your rifle will have to "like" unless you decide to start handloading yourself.
    -They're expensive. Practice sessions get expensive real quick-like! :)

Don't get me wrong, the Barnes bullets are excellent performers! That's why I use em.
    But they do have their little quirks (like most of the premium bullets out there)

Quite honestly, I would suggest you try several of the standard lead-core/jacketed bullet loads available at least until you've got the hang of your new rifle...unless you are stuck in one of those non-toxic bullet zone areas (like some of our members here).
  3. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

Thank you, I haven't decided what rounds I will be using because I don't even have the rifle yet, I was just looking at possibilities and was wondering about the differences, I plan on trying as many rounds as makes financial sense to see what my rifle to be likes :). Thanks for the answer
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  4. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I'm one of those guys that has to use copper (California zone A), but have used the Barnes out of preference prior to it being mandatory. I don't own a .270, but my hunting partner has 3 of them that I load for. The 130 and 140 TSX and the MRX all do well in all of his rifles: a pre-64 Model 70, a Featherweight of '80's vintage and a 77 tang safety Ruger. He's used them to kill numerous hogs and blacktails over the years.

Bindernut is right; attention to cleaning is a must when using the ductile copper stuff. Depending on the rifle it can be pretty tedious. My A-Bolt 7mm mag has to be thoroughly cleaned after about 25 or 30 rounds and takes 2 hours of concentrated effort to render the barrel clean. Once done it shoots cloverleafs. I worked on a new model Ruger stainless in the same caliber and it would only go 10 rounds before it needed attention. My 700 in .300 is not so sensitive and cleans up in 15 minutes.

Shooting the factory loads will get spendy in a hurry, but you won't give anything up on game when you pull the trigger for real. Let us know how it does.
  5. Razor18

Razor18 New Member

I'm wondering what can be the physical reason of the difference between copper fouling using solid copper vs. lead core copper jacket bullets? In both cases copper has contact with barell. Any explanation?
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day Razor Welcome!!

the copper jackets your used to is a alloy ( it varies to maker and projectile) but the biggy is silicon

solid copper is just that and will leave more metal behind but some makers also alloy them so a look around may solve that issue for you

cheers
  7. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

Adding zinc (or other metals) to pure copper makes a huge difference in it's properties. Just ask a machinist what he thinks about milling pure copper--it's like machining oatmeal.