Difficult time finding ammo...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Nolaphoto1, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Nolaphoto1

Nolaphoto1 New Member

Anyone else having a difficult time finding their favorite ammunition? At my local private gun shop, they are out of just about everything and are taking whatever the distributors can scrounge up for them. At the big chains like Academy, I expect a less than stellar selection but even they are feeling the shortage. SO I turned to the online guys...Cabelas...out....Midway....out. The hardest to find is .22LR standard velocity. 9mm is available in spurts. .223 is a mixed bag of brass and steel cased imports. .308 gold medal match is impossible to find except online but at $40 a box for 20, I don't shoot it that often. :-( A friend of mine can't even find a single box of .38s anywhere.
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Even if you can find some....who can afford it?

Mike
    Gn
  3. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Still getting .44mag Remington and Winchester here for around $20 a box of 50. Similar price per box and round for .32ACP, with slightly less availability. Not shooting much else lately but I do see 12ga. is really cheap now, 100 rounds birdshot for maybe $30 at WallyWorld.
    I'm looking for Fiocchi .32ACP without luck though. Their FMJ's are the STUFF!
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Yes, YEs and YES! And the 22LR's seem the hardest to come across these days. 30/30 not so bad to find here/$14.00, and .243/$17.00, .357/ $24-$28.00, 7mm REM MAG/$28.00, 9mm if you can find them..the $ is whatever the "store" wants to slap on them...hand hard to find.....45acp I stocked up on a long time ago and cant recall the pirice but it was high as well, and etc.,,,The government cant do too much with our guns, but the ammo they can regulate IMO.
  5. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

You have to be patient and you can't hold out for the best possible price. I've found 22, 223 and 40 at Wally Mart and 22, 223 and 308 from Midway and Natchez. Go on the web sites and set up a product availability notice, when you get the email, buy then, don't wait.
  6. Zane71464

So very true, thats a good way to go.
  7. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I noticed that powder, primers and bullets all had poor availability. First powder slowly became more available and is not in reasonably good supply. Primers are becoming more available, lagging powder as is ammo. I think things will loosen up this year. The election of Brown in MA might help, it will make people a little less paranoid about the Dems ramming some kind of gun control legislation down our throats.
  8. Zane71464

With the election of Brown in MA, I think "we" might be in store for a few changes. I know it can only help, thats for sure.
    But there for a while, I was looking up powder for 9mm & 45acp loads and they were all but un-available. But hopefully we are making our way back up hill a bit.
  9. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Active Member

.......I just keep hitting the basement every night or so and spend and hour or two working the reloader.

I don't even bother to look in the stores anymore.
  10. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

i'm not feeling it at all. i can usually always find my winchester 100-round boxes of .45acp at farm n' fleet. last time i was at gander, they had plenty.
  11. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Plenty here in shops I frequent. The Great Panic of '09 has passed.
  12. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have probably 7-800 rounds of 223. I sell them for 7.25 a box of 20. People are gouging.
  13. Nolaphoto1

Nolaphoto1 New Member

I have about 600rds of 223 in a dry box and with the hit and miss availability I don't shoot it that often. I have 500rds of .22lr on order. I thought I was doing good by shooting the standard velocity target loads but it seems that the "suppressor craze" has had taken its toll on its availability. I don't want to have to hoard and store ammo just so I can spend an hour at a range but it seems like that is exactly what I am going to have to do. Did you ever think you'd wake up in America and see a day when gun and ammunition manufacturers couldn't keep up with demand?
  14. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

I'm finding that when the small, local gun shops in my area have loading supplies available, they jack up the price by a minimum of 100%. I always try to support my local businesses but in this case, I won't return to them for anything. I don't like it when the locals screw their local customers.
  15. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Here in Northern CA, I am suprised to be able to find almost any common handgun ammo. Prices are a bit high, ($20 per 50 for .45--$14-16 for 9mm) but not as bad as some I see listed here, and for the most part as good as any online supply (especially when you add in shipping cost). I have two places I shop (not walmart), and between them, I can seem to get 45 ACP, 9mm, 40, 308 ($16/20rnds) without too much trouble. Now, that being said, it does vary from maker to maker, and the prices are less than beautiful, but it is there.

What I am having trouble finding is 9mm and .45 bullets for reloading. I did find a decent deal on some lead 200g lead SWC the other day and bought 600 of them to hold me for a couple of months. Nobody seems to have any FMJ's though. Powder is also pretty hit and miss.

The live ammo seems to be getting a little more available, hopefully the components will soon follow.
  16. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Hoffman's guns in Ct. has more ammo than anyone needs-look at the store pictures
  17. REISINGMOD50

REISINGMOD50 New Member

I took up reloading 9mm and .45 ACP years ago. Some reloading components are hard to find and have jumped in price, but still I can reload for about 11 cents a round. In addition, people that never thought of owning a gun are buying them and those will guns are loading up on ammo. There election of Odimbo the Muslim is the root cause of the shortage of ammo. In addition, the wars around the world with muslims have dried up the surplus ammo market. The days of cheap ammo and available surplus is gone forever.
  18. RandyP

RandyP Member

It sure is nice to reload - ain't it? - lol

I was getting low on bulk 22LR but my local Cabelas got in a nice supply of Federal copper clad at about $20 a box so I stocked up with several.

Haven't had to buy any centerfire since I discovered Lee Precision.
  19. Texxut

Texxut Member

Wally World still gets in the Federal 550 bulk 22lr and they aren't gouging for it either. $14 something a box. I buy surplus ammo for my comblock rifles and reload everything else.
  20. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I just moved, and my new town has only one ammo retailer: Walmart. :(

And this particular Walmart seems to only order one box of each caliber at a time. There are three boxes of .223 on the self, but no more than one of anything else (shotshells excluded). There has been no .380 or .38 Special the whole time I've been here.

I need to get to the next town east, which supposedly has 4 gun shops. It may just take me a few weeks more to find time.