Digital powder scales?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 1969SS396, Dec 15, 2010.

1. armoredman

armoredman New Member

As soon as I get it, I'll tell everyone about my experience with the new Berry's Manufacturing scale. :)
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Currently PACT digital here...plus a Lyman and Redding beam scale. Owned a Hornady beam scale before my fire.
    The one I use most often is the PACT.

Yes, they're touchy to drafts and other external interference...but guess what, a beam scale is too. Anything accurate down to 0.1gr is going to be sensitive to air movement.
    My Ohaus-made Lyman (identical to the RCBS 502) is harder to keep stable than the PACT is. I have a bad taste in my mouth from the magnetic damped beam scales....they're even more sensitive to magnetic fields (I.E. flourescent shop lights, TVs, computer monitors, speakers, etc) than a digital.
    When I use a beam scale, I reach for my old oil-damped Redding.

At work, our plant uses scales that will weigh over a ton and the QA lab uses small scales accurate down to 0.005 gram. All of em are digital, there's not a beam scale in the bunch. If they work in a food grade lab setting then I think they are good enough for precision reloading work too.

They key to buying any reloading scale, balance beam or digital, is to get a good quality name-brand unit. The cheapies aren't worth the money and that is where 99% of the bad press for either type comes from.
    Yes, I consider the PACT BBK2 / RCBS Rangemaster750 cheap units too...I know they use a cheaper load cell system that is not as stable as their big brother the PACT Precision / RCBS Rangemaster1500. The BBK2/RM750 is good if you've got a stable temp reloading area, but otherwise, spend a couple extra bucks for the Precision/RM1500. And yes, those two brands are identical units made by PACT so unless you absolutely must have green equipment go with the lower-priced PACT version.
    Both the Lyman 1000 and 1500 are good digitals, as is the Hornady Lock-n-Load digital.

And whatever you do, absolutely do not waste time or money on any digital priced under $50 dollars...that includes all those cheap battery powered "pocket scales" that have appeared in recent years.
  3. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I never did a minor one.;)
    I use a Lyman scale and have had no issues with it yet. I do have to turn off the ceiling fan and I do recalibrate it often.
  4. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

I use a Lyman 1200 DPS 3, and I love it! Used a 10-10 balance beam scale and an RCBS powder measurer for 30 years prior to it, but I found that it wasn't the most accurate for light charges. I let my 1200 warm up for 30-45 minutes and re-check the zero every 50 rounds.
  5. armoredman

armoredman New Member

Never heard of a minor fart. I can clear a truck bay. :)
    Yes, I have to turn off the ceiling fan, and close the AC ducts as well. I can turn on one small fan that blows behind me for cooling, that's it. :)
  6. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Ive had an RCBS Chargemaster for several years...Only problem I had was when a nearby lightning bolt fried the electronics....The blue fireball that passed through the building fried other electronic gear also..

I sent it back to RCBS and got a new one for $40 bucks...even though it wasnt the Chargemasters fault it got fried...

I never have had a problem with accuracy or calibration and it is +-1/10g with my 40 year old Lyman beamer....I use it in total confidence and recheck with the supplied known value weights from time to time...
  7. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

They are like everything else. If man made it, it can fail. I dont like them for throwing powder because I think they are aggravating. I base that purely on personal preference. I prefer them to beam scales for weighing bullets.