Dillon 9mm die set question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mark9765, Mar 23, 2009.

1. mark9765

mark9765 New Member

I just bought a set of Dillon 14406 9mm dies. This set comes with 3 dies. A sizing/depriming die, a bullet seating and a crimp die. Doesn't the end of the brass need to be expanded to start the bullet? Is there another die I need to buy. I am confused!
  2. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Hi Mark. Welcome:)

Our resident Dillon expert LD Bennet should know & will probably be along shortly. Yes you will want to bell those case mouths.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

If you have a dillon press, the second stage bells the mouth and drops the powder. I don't know how it would work in any other press!

Actually, I think you would have to get another "bell mouth" die for it to work. Maybe LD will have an answer.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  4. mark9765

mark9765 New Member

You guys are right. I used an expander from another set. Thanks
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Are you using Dillon dies in a non-Dillon press? That's probably not a good idea because the Dillon set does not include a belling die. You'll have to steal one from anouthe die set.

If it is a Dillon press you are using then:

There are four stations (one optional) in the common RL550B Dillon press for doing pistol rounds. The first uses a regular sizing die (carbide in this case) that sizes and de-primes the brass on upward travel of the table. When you push the handle forward (downward travel of the table) the new primer is automatically seated into the case.

The third stations uses a regular seating die. A normal RCBS or others' die can be lowered or raised so that the case can be crimped or not. The fourth station with the Dillon die set is a separate crimp station as the seating die at station 3 does not crimp, no matter the adjustment.

I saved the second station for last. It delivers the powder through a universal die (used for all calibers). You add to it a "powder funnel" sized for the specific cartridge of choice, and the auto actuated Dillon powder measure on the top of the universal powder die. It allows powder from the automatically actuated powder measure to flow through the center (funnel part). The edge of that funnel, where it enters the case, is rounded such that if the case is pushed far enough into the die then the case mouth is belled. The adjustment of the height of the universal powder die is critical and it controls the actuation of the powder measure as well as the belling of the case mouth. The Dillon press instructions clearly explain how that die and the caliber specific powder funnel are adjusted to achieve this end. So it is the "Powder Funnel" in a Dillon press that does the belling of the case mouth.

Hope this helps.

LDBennett