Dillon Dies

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Kinker1, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Kinker1

Kinker1 New Member

I am considering upgrading my Lee 357 SIG (steel) sizing die to a Dillon CARBIDE die on a RCBS press. I understand that the Dillon dies are designed for their progressive units. Is there any issue that anyone knows that might exist with my current Lee/RCBS shell holders? Rumor is that I might have to have my existing shell holder milled down a bit to actually have the sholder positioned properly.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

You may be wasting your money on Dillon Carbide dies if you think you will be getting away from having to lube the cases. Dillon makes Carbide dies that require lube when the case is a bottle neck design and I think the 357 Sig is that. If nothing else it deserves investigating. Just give them a call and ask to talk with the technical people... in my experience they know reloading.

I have a Dillon RL550B and I use regular dies from RCBS, Lee, Redding, Forester, and I have one set of Dillon dies. They all fit my press the same. I find the Dillon dies no better or worse than say RCBS dies. Only the Lee dies are of questionable quality (some of the Lee dies rusted on me whereas the other brands did not). All the others are of about the same quality level. The Dillon dies should work fine in your RCBS press.

LDBennett
  3. BigJakeJ1s

BigJakeJ1s New Member

If you want to avoid lubing the cases before resizing, use a 40 S&W carbide die first, then a steel 357 sig die to size the shoulder and neck. Since the 40 die does a lot of the work, lubrication is not required for the little bit extra the sig die does. Of course, this takes two trips through the press, but...

Andy