Dillon powder drop die question??

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by RAJBCPA, Dec 6, 2012.

1. RAJBCPA

RAJBCPA Member

..this is a new press that I am getting used to running it...

I have loaded 500 or so small cases (40) without issue,,,,it seems to work great so far....

Anyway, last night I was adjusting the press to use a different powder but with the same caliber (40). I took the powder measure off the press, and dumped the old powder back into the original plastic jar. I returned the powder measure to the press, locked it down and removed the case retaining pin in Station #2 and ran a few charges to measure the new powder and adjust the new powder drop with a digital scale.

Then I noticed a weird thing. The cases no longer were being flared in Station #2.

How could that happen if I did not change the depth of the powder drop die?

thx...
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I would pull the powder measure and make sure the everything is cleaned out good. Check to make sure that you didn't lose the white spacer at the bottom of the powder measure also.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

You say you removed the powder measure from the press? Probably when you put it back, you just did not get the complete die back to where it was before. Just loosen the lock ring and screw the die down a little at a time until you get it right again.
  4. Bud0505

Bud0505 Member

When I want to change powders on my 550B I pull the toolhead pins and release the fail safe rod and remove the toolhead from the press, dump the powder back into it's original container and manually actuate the powder bar to get the remaining powder out of the powder measure. I find this method a lot quicker than removing the powder measure from the powder die.
  5. Sgt 45

Sgt 45 Active Member

+1 to what Bud says.
  6. RAJBCPA

RAJBCPA Member

yikes, that is a good idea.... i did not think of that but, that is what I will do from this point forward....

thx...
  7. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

It could be that the measure is not tightened down and is moving up slightly when the press is cycled. I have done that more than once after removing and replacing a measure.
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

RAJBCPA:

I keep all the dies set up for each caliber on their own toolhead. The powder measure gets removed and stored in a drawer and put back on the next time I use the same or different tool head. There is no reason to dump the powder by removing the entire tool head, in my opinion and experience. (I reload for over 30 different calibers.)

I suspect you did not get the powder measure back on the powder die totally seated. Inside its neck is a white plastic bushing. It tends to fall out or at least come partially out of the measure. It may not be full seated and is not allowing the measure to seat all the way down. There is a step inside the metal part of the measure that must seat on the top of the powder die. Maybe the white bushing has come out enough to not let the measure fully seat correctly. When fully seated you can hear the clack of metal on metal as you drop the measure onto the powder die.

LDBennett
  9. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

This has been cussed and discussed ad nauseum on all the boards. Suffice to say, some powders (e.g. Bullseye) react negatively with plastic reservoirs.
  10. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I just take the tool head and powder measure out of the press dump it in to the powder container and run the press by hand till I don't see any powder. Then I take some canned air and blow it all out and off.
  11. HAGEN442

HAGEN442 New Member

Welcome to the World of Reloading
    I think I remember doing the same with a LNL many moons ago.
    Chanes are you will not do anything some of us have not already done.