Dillon Press??

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by NOLA26, Oct 18, 2009.

1. NOLA26

NOLA26 New Member

Hi all,

Im new to site and had a few questions. I searched the forum and see that most people use a lee or Rockchucker presses. I had the oppertunity to purchase a Dillon RL550 complete with, strong mount, roller handle, bullet tray, bullet puller, case polisher with media, powder scale, case guages, calipers, case lube and polish, 500 rounds of .308 brass and bullets and a few more things that I cant remember right now. Anyway I paid $500 for everything and it was all new in the box as the guy I bought it from never set it up. I thought it was a good deal but I am wondering if there is something wrong with the Dillon presses since I dont see many of you guys using them?
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

There is nothing wrong with Dillon Presses. They are however very expensive and you got an excellent deal. Just go to their site and price up the items you have and you can see just how good of a deal you received.

I rescently looked into purchasing a Dillon, but felt it was too expensive for my tastes.

Dillon from my understanding has an excellent warranty, lifetime and no questions asked if anything needs replacement from my understanding.

There are several people who use Dillon religiously on this forum and will swear to them.

I would suggest that you buy yourself a reloading manual to go with all your goodies, if it wasnt included in your deal. Lyman, Speer, Lee all have good manuals with loads of information a reloader needs to have.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

+1 & Welcome Nola!
    Had my SDB for a year now and have had no issues other than operator induced. I am going to add another progressive at some point; I'm on the fence between the 550B and the Hornady LNL-AP, slight lean to stay with Dillon's product line though. Dillons customer service is the best; I don't think there'll be much arguement from anyone on that matter. Not saying they're perfect though; but they truly mean it when they say that is their goal.

You did a fine job of getting the set-up for $500; You walked away with well over a grand worth of product with all that you have listed there.
    Start out with reading a Few reloading manuals and go through the press setup a couple times to fully understand the function of the press. You'll probably want to start off using the press as a single stage until you get familiar with the progressive process.

Enjoy and Be Safe,

Woolley
  4. bucksnducks

bucksnducks New Member

You got a great deal! I have had a Dillon SDB for over 10 years and it has been well worth the investment. They also back up their products should you have a problem or just need some technical assistance.
  5. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

....well sometimes LOL

cause in 20 years and over 250,000 rounds my SDB has so seldom gone weird on me that i get weird if it does.
    great price & have fun.
  6. woolleyworm

:D:D that got a good chuckle Claude !! ;) Only downside to the SDB press is that the dies are proprietary and about 20% more expensive than standard. For straight wall pistol, it's a fine solid press.
  7. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

Nola I don't know how to tell you this but I think the guy took advantage of you. I feel so bad that I will trade you my Lee for your Dillon and you won't even have to add any money. :D OK all kidding a side you got a great deal. You will be very happy with that 550. Congrats.
  8. medalguy

medalguy Member

I have several Dillon presses and use them constantly, whenever I'm not at the range. They are top quality, and the service from Dillon is top quality too. An excellent choice for any reloader if you want to crank out lots of top-quality reloads in short order.

I agree they are not perfect, nothing is, but most of my errors have been pilot error. Whenever something seems to be not working quite right, I have learned to stop and check the press carefully. I can usually get it back on track with a minor adjustment in a few minutes.
  9. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Not a thing wrong with a dillon press adn it sounds like you got a good deal to boot. Yes get some manuals and read them first! If you have question there are some really great folks hanging out here! Welcome to the forum, have fun and be safe!
  10. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I used a 550 for years and bought a 650 last year. I was shocked at a couple of uncorrected design flaws that made it very difficult and frustrating to use. I have corrected a couple of them and learned to beware of the others. I would not recommend the 650. Dillon is happy to send you a box of parts, this does little good when the problem is a design flaw.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have had my 550 for a few months and really do like it. I will add my - you got a great deal - to the ones already stated. How many dies and what kind did you get with it? If there are some you don't feel you will use, you can list them on the buy/sell/trade forum.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
  12. NOLA26

NOLA26 New Member

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I did not get any dies with the press as it was new and still in the box. It did come with a 40 cal caliber conversion. I have bought a reloading manual and a hornady load book. I have 45 ACP dies and should be getting .223 and 38 soon. I have found primers online and at the gun show this past weekend. All I need now is 45 brass. I have a place to get it just have to find the time to go and get it. I cant wait to get started. Again thanks for all the answers. BTW for those of you wondering how I got the set up so cheap, Another officer I work with is getting a divorce and had a fire sale. I guess if he cant use it at least she cant use it either, or sell it for that matter. Anyway thanks y'all!!
  13. woolleyworm

Sweey deal Nola; great to hear you're reading up, you'll be all set to go when you get the dies and tools all ready.

Semper Fi !
  14. Rockchucker

Rockchucker New Member

Seems you came out quite well on your purchase. I'm using a 550b Dillon and love it, thinking about putting another one next to it and set them up for large and small primer. Congrats again, you'll love it.
  15. armabill

armabill Member

I have a 550 and should have gotten it first instead of last.