Dillon vs RCBS Progressive

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

tuckerd1
    (5/15/01 10:47:02 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Dillon vs RCBS Progressive
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think I know how this is going to turn out, but I had to ask.

What are the pros and cons and why do you think so?

Is the RCBS simplier to use? I have heard it uses fewer parts.

RCBS now has a lifetime warranty don't they? What about service?

Edited by: tuckerd1 at: 5/15/01 6:02:01 pm

tuckerd1
    (5/18/01 6:44:48 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Dillon vs RCBS Progressive
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well Tuck, I got a nack for starting these offbeat topics no one wants to talk about.

The Dillon, from all reports, is a very good press. Works well, life time warranty and good service from the company.

tuckerd1
    (5/18/01 6:46:20 am)
    Yeah Tuck, you can start some real hangers.

Back to the topic, they also say the RCBS 2000 is very well engineered with less parts and is easier to setup. Have not heard to many reports on how well it functions. Heard the APS priming system is awkward. may want to convert to tube fed. They have life time warranty. How's customer service?

tuckerd1
    (5/18/01 6:48:48 am)
    Tuck, it looks like we gonna have to buy both, test them and then I can report to me on how each works. Kinda expensive but when I don't get any info from anyone in the forum except me whats a man supposed to do.

Edited by: tuckerd1 at: 5/18/01 7:50:10 am

tuckerd1
    (5/18/01 6:52:42 am)
    Well, I know these technical forums don't get as many posts as them general discussions, so I'll just have to be satisfied with me. I'll get some info together and let me know.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (5/18/01 7:03:09 am)
    I like my Dillon and never used an RCBS Progressive. My thinking is, If you own a Dillon,why use anything else. Actually, I don't know anyone with an RCBS Progressive press. Most of my friends use Dillon, except one who uses a Lee Pro1000. And the plastic Lee is a piece of junk( his words).

tuckerd1
    (5/18/01 7:06:27 am)
    Sam, I knew you would come thru. Just had to goad you some.

Don't own either progressive myself. Still using RCBS Rock Chucker.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (5/18/01 7:30:16 am)
    I had a Rock Chucker years ago. I was slow at loading,so I spent more time loading than shooting. When I bought the Dillon Square Deal B, all that changed. I can load 30 min. and shoot all day.

Edited by: shooter45 us at: 6/8/01 11:34:39 am

Zigzag2
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (5/18/01 8:38:55 am)
    Well, since were're on the subject... my 1st and only experience has been with my Dillon 550. My experiences with Dillons service has been great too. A simple call, and they have kindly amd professionally answered my questions and filled my orders without a glitch. With the extra shell plates and caliber conversions, I can switch calibers in practically no time.

Zig

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (5/18/01 9:50:02 am)
    Zig, my next Dillon will be a 550B. I load rifle ammo on a friends 550. Never a bad round.

oldguide32
    (5/18/01 12:04:25 pm)
    Now you've got me interested. What would it cost me to get set up with a dillon?? A 550 you say? I still use the old A2 and Rockchucker presses. Jack Could an old stick-in-the-mud Fart like me ever learn to use a Dillon??

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (5/18/01 12:30:56 pm)
    Jack, the Dillon press is quick and easy to set up. Remember, Any problems you encounter can be quickly corrected by their tech staff. You can check them out at www.dillonprecision.com. If you'll E-mail your address,I'll send you a few issues of their Blue Press Magazine. Shooter

edited for link...

Edited by: Zigzag2 at: 5/23/01 9:37:16 am

shooter22
    (5/18/01 3:47:26 pm)
    Have you concidered the Hornady Lock N Load Auto progressive? It is a fine press. I have both the single stage and auto. I would buy more, but it coveres it all. Only reason I have both, so my brother and I can reload together.

SHOOTER22

tuckerd1
    (5/18/01 8:28:15 pm)
    Shooter22, I have not looked at the Hornady. I knew Dillon pretty much had the top spot sewed up for a long time, but was trying to see if the RCBS 2000 was as well designed as some say.

oldguide32
    (5/18/01 10:52:18 pm)
    Shooter: thanks for the kind offer- I have contacted Dillon and they're sending me some copies. It may be the way to go now that my teen-age boys are using up my ammo.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (5/18/01 11:14:09 pm)
    Oldguide, teach the youngsters to reload and you can sit back and relax.

oldguide32
    (5/19/01 8:56:31 am)
    Yeh, I plan on it. I have lots of brass and powder. I have my old A2 and the newer Rockchucker set up on the bench.The A2 is good but really too big in many ways. It will cruch a .300 H&H case before I know it. Also not sensitive to primer seating so I bought one of the auto-primer tools. Now am trying to figure out how to use that! thanks for the advice.

tuckerd1
    (6/8/01 10:16:15 am)
    Okay, Ya'll convinced me. I got the Dillon 550 on order. We'll see what it will do next week.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (6/8/01 10:38:09 am)
    Tuck, be careful. When you start loading, you may not be able to stop. LOL !!

Zigzag2
    (6/11/01 10:03:04 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Dillon vs RCBS Progressive
    Shooter45, ain't that the truth. Takes no time at all !!!

Zig

SW Man
    (7/7/01 12:59:17 am)
    Just thought I'd throw in my 2ยข's worth. I use the Dillon 650. I also had a chance to use a RCBS progressive. It's apples and oranges. I think the dillon system makes the RCBS look slow and inefficent. Also, I like the safegaurds and warning systems that the RCBS does not have.
    The second admendment GUARANTEES the Constitution and the other nine.

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/7/01 4:26:19 pm)
    SW Man, thanks for the comment. As I bought the Dillon 550 and have started to load with it. I love it. Have never used an RCBS Progressive so I have no comment on it. Was just wondering what others thought before I bought one.

But, I do know the ole rock chucker is still on the bench for small and odd jobs. Also, I'm going to make it portable for testing at the range.

Again Welcome to the board!

AGunguy
    (7/13/01 11:47:37 am)
    Oldguide32, if an ol fart like me can operate Dillons, then you should have no trouble. Buy Dillon, Dillon, Dillon, and I do mean DILLON!

I recently bought the old RL 450 Dillon reloading press complete, and I'm a guy that likes to tinker with his goods, so, converted the all manual 450 press to full auto. Just replaced the manual powder measure with a Hornady meter type that has the Hornady case-activated powder drop die. Then did some milling on the primer body housing by making a slot for the slide bar roller pin wheel could go forward to activate the auto priming system. Now both are full auto like the 550 B press, except you don't have the luxuary of the removable die tool head plate on top. I can live with that for now.

Like this setup so much...that I found me another one, and did the samething with it. One is for large primers and one is for small primers.

But, the easiest way would be to buy the 550 B. But look at all the fun you'll have missed.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 7/13/01 1:00:35 pm

TallTLynn
    (7/13/01 9:21:19 pm)
    You know this reloading thing sounds more and more interesting the more I read about it.

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/13/01 9:38:45 pm)
    TLynn, It can be a lot of fun and you save a lot of $$ per box of ammo. Only problem is you shoot a whole lot more, so you still spend a bundle on bullets. You ought to give it a try. Not very expensive to get started. It can sound like alot when you first start, but the equipment pays for itself very fast.

AGunguy
    (7/14/01 11:41:30 am)
    TLynn, check my ad in the classified section. Maybe you got an old ruger 10/22 you wanta trade.

Gunguy

TallTLynn
    (7/14/01 12:25:42 pm)
    Saw your ad - but I don't sell guns for one and I've never owned a Ruger. S&W's and Beretta's (and one colt at one time - a long time ago).

rayra
    (7/15/01 3:04:23 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Dillon vs RCBS Progressive
    Used a Lee single stage first couple of years.
    Good friend uses a RCBS Rock Crusher with progressive add \-on (?), never seems happy with it.
    Bought a Dillon 550 ~13 (14?) years ago, and the thing is fantastic. Only problem I ever had with a subassembly, I called it in and received a free replacement assembly in <72hrs.
    Fantastic customer service in all regards / transactions.
    Great / versatile product - I'm loading 9mm, .38/.357, .40, .44/mag, .45ACP, .223 & .30-06 with a minimum of fuss, prep-time, or expense.

Initial costs for progressive reloading (from a cold start) are a little prohibitive (~$500-600, press, dies, cartridge-making supplies), but I can safely say now that I have more than made up the expense, and am saving large amounts of cash. At about 4-5cents / pistol round I can shoot ALL DAY LONG.

Rich

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/16/01 9:04:19 am)
    Only loaded about 600 rds in the Dillon 550 so far, but I can tell it is going to be great!! Fast and does quality reloads. Having a ball with this machine!!

AGunguy
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/21/01 9:56:17 am)
    Ain't life good... with a Dillon.

Gunguy

75BDdude
    (9/14/02 8:22:16 pm)
    OK... I'll chime in here. I actually used a Dillon Square Deal B and a 550B that a buddy owned before I bought my progressinve about 6 years ago. I ended up buying the RCBS Ammo Master for a couple reasons. The Square Deal has proprietary dies. (And it was the same price as the Ammo Master at the time) The 550B was manual indexing only where the RCBS was either manual or auto. (the 550B was priced almost $200 more than the AmmoMaster) I also didn't like the priming system or the powder measure on the Dillon. But that was a personal thing. I'd been using an RCBS powder measure for years and had no complaints. The way I viewed it the Ammomaster feature for feature had to be compared to the RL650 and the price was hundreds less. Yes you can add more functionality to the RL650 than the AmmoMaster, but as shipped the RCBS matched it for over $300 less. Now for customer service.... if anyone has ever called RCBS for anything they would know that they are every bit as good as Dillon for Customer Service. And so is Redding for that matter. Any of those 3 companies will address your problem NOW. And I have experience with all 3. So customer service shouldn't be a factor in choosing between the two companies. Now, all this is based on my experience with an AmmoMaster Progressive, which is now discontinued. I have not used their latest offering but it sure looks stout. However I beleive it is manual indexing only. I personally like the auto indexing. I mean..... why go to a progressive... yet only go half way? Kinda like gettin' half pregnant...
    (I'm sure THAT will start some responses!!)
    I'm not trying to start a war here, just relaying my personal opinion on the subject. I've been flamed relentlessly on other boards for not advocating the purchase of a Dillon. They are great products, but there are other options out there that are more competitively priced....

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/16/02 11:04:35 pm)
    Shucks, 75BDdude, Welcome to the Forum.

The RCBS progressive 2000 looks like a pretty fair piece of machinery as a manual index type. Don't have any experience with the Ammomaster so can't comment on something I've never used. By the way, I haven't read where the RCBS Ammo master or the piggy back setup is manual or auto indexing...there doesn't seem to be any auto indexing.

I don't use the Dillon powder measure system on presses, I use the Hornady case-activated powder drop die with the RCBS Uniflow powder measure setting on top of it. I've got 3 Uniflows and one Hornady powder measure on my equipment.

Oh, I do have an old manual Dillon powder measure that I put on my 4-die station C&H press...though I've never used it yet there...but it looks nice.

I also find it more convieniant to use the Lee hand auto primer to punch in those primers, have one for large and one for small. I do this because I like to process my brass before loading begins...deprime and polish and size brass first...then punch in the primers and load.

Got an old Dillon RL 450 press frame that needs some lower linkage parts and the ram piston. Got most all the other parts to finish it off as soon as I get lucky and find the linkage system from some wrecked press. (never gonna happen)

RCBS makes good stuff but Dillon is a little more friendly user for me and I like those folks and their equipment. So, if your RCBSs gear is working well for you...more power too you.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 9/19/02 8:51:05 am

1badassmagnum
    (12/22/02 11:16:16 pm)
    get the dillon,my rock chucker with piggyback unit is really frustrating.the priming strips suck,they dont feed correctly no matter what I do.
    the shell holders dont fit tightly enough,which makes it difficult to get all 5 stations aligned with the cases.
    powder spills are common,and I have a hard time getting a large quantity done is a good time frame.
    lots of pulled bullets,damaged primers,bent cases,and broken decapping pins.I have only worked with small calibers(9mm,380 auto) so far,maybe the 440 corbon and 50 a e will work better,if not its back to the rock chucker single stage,till I can afford the 550 dillon.

75BDdude
    (12/23/02 9:16:26 pm)
    Well you ARE talking about the PiggyBack! It does not compare to any stand-alone progressive presses. It was designed to be a cheap alternative to allow someone to turn a single stage press into a progressive. It is not the same as the Ammomaster or the new Pro 2000. And the Piggyback costs less than half of what a Dillon 550 will run you.
    But in deciding which progressive press to buy one other thing to consider is what do you want to load. You can only load pistol cartridges and small rifle cartridges on the 550B and it is manual indexing only. But the RCBS and Hornady presses will do large rifle cartdges also and you can set it up for manual or auto indexing. Both for the same price of a 550B. You have to go to the XL650 in the Dillon line to do large rifle carts and do auto indexing. Just food for thought. They are all awesome products in my mind. You need to decide what you want to load, wether you will ever want auto indexing, and how much are you willing to spend.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/23/02 10:10:10 pm)
    ??
    what are you calling 'large' rifle cartridges?
    I've been loading .30-06 on my 550B for a loong time

Read elsewhere of someone even managing to load .300 WinMag (or was it H&H?) on a 550B.

Rich

75BDdude
    (12/24/02 8:00:45 am)
    DOH!!! My mistake... I was confusing that part with the Square Deal B....

Excuse my rants.... I just want to give people all the options when they ask about progressive presses rather than just tell them to buy the Dillon. Although... if they have the money to spend then they are NOT being lead astray with that advice! I only think it's fair to give them impartial info and let them choose between all the manufacturers products.

Oh... also, the new RCBS Pro 2000 does NOT offer auto indexing I do not beleive. Where the old Ammomaster did, In case I implied that it does.....

BTW Rich.... nice rack of M1 clips there!!! I load for mine as well. They are one fun rifle!!! What's you favorite powder for the M1? Do you shoot HP Competition?

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/24/02 11:19:30 am)
    147gr spitzer over 46.5gr of IMR 3031, and No, I don't (Rifle Competition)

All well and good to provide 'impartial' info, but if you are going to miss KEY items like being able to load large rifle calibers with a 550B, then that's a disservice.
    Don't mean to ride you about it, just saying check your facts before dishing them out.
    Rich

75BDdude
    (12/24/02 6:17:27 pm)
    Sorry. I made a mistake. I knew about that but it's been a while. It may be a disservice, but so is just blanketly saying "buy a Dillon" without finding out what the person truely needs. I get flammed on every board I visit over this Dillon issue. And at least I have used all the mentioned presses except the Hornady. I will refrain from any Dillon vs. the world debates from now on........
    Man............

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/26/02 1:40:05 am)
    talk about a reflexive response.
    no reason to 'refrain' from ANY discussion here.

you talked about trying to be 'even' in discussing press recommendations, but blew a major feature.

and you seem to be automatically assuming that there's been any rampant Dillon-ism here, or from me. Not the case. In fact, I've got several posts here discussing and even recommending that someone completely new to reloading NOT start with a progressive. A new reloader should learn / make their mistakes a few shells at a time, not hundreds at a time
    Rich

1badassmagnum
    (12/26/02 6:43:57 am)
    everyone on the planet reccommends dillion,and for good reason.I needed a single stage and rcbs was in stock and on sale.the rock chucker works great,especially with the rcbs dies.absolutely no complaints there.after a month or so I wanted faster production to be able to shoot more,heck I've been shooting at least a 1000 rounds this month.so the piggy back was an easy option,and I've only done a few hundred rounds with the conversion,so it may just be operator error.not a bad investment for $400 not including dies,I have already recovered the savings through reloading.
    I will rock on for a while till I need a new toy and buy a 550 b,keeping the rcbs as a single stage for small oddities.I have been pretty happy with my rcbs equiptment,I'm just a darn perfectionist and hate wasting lousy 2 cent primers lol.

75BDdude
    (12/26/02 8:40:31 pm)
    Sorry... guess I went off a little early. I appologised for my error and felt that my attempt at humility was not accepted, so I guess I took it personal when there was no need. My mistake
    I did not mean to elude that your posts were ever not impartial Rayra... I just knee-jerked at the follow-up. Again please accept my appology.

Big R
    (1/6/03 11:55:48 pm)
    bought a dillon and love it, can't speak for the others as I havn't used them

.22 or 7mm Rem Mag, it doesn't matter. As long as I'm shooting I'm Happy