dimples in case neck??

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by kar298, May 4, 2004.

1. kar298

kar298 New Member

well i finally just got started doing my first ever batch of reloading. the first couple of brass that i resized/deprimed has small dimples on the bottom of the case neck is it ok to shoot these brass or should i throw them away?
  2. Ronald J. Snow

Ronald J. Snow New Member

Unless the "dimples" are "craters" I wouldn't worry too much. This is caused by too much case lube on the shoulder of the cartridge when you were resizing it. Go a little easier on the lube and the problem should go away; common problem for someone new to the art.
  3. kar298

kar298 New Member

yeah i know but i wasnt putting much lube on at all, when i switch to the lee lube it worked fine but the rcbs lube kept making the dimples
  4. Jefflesh

Jefflesh New Member

I would like to know if you are using carbide or steel dies? I don't think you need case lube with carbide dies. Unlesss you are doing a neck sizing die.
  5. kar298

kar298 New Member

i am using lee dies for my 30-30 which are steel
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Any bottle neck case, even with carbide dies, needs case lube, period! If you have dimples, clean the sizer die and then only lube the neck and body with your fingers, not a pad. Do not lube the shoulder. I have always used Hornady one shot for lubing cases. You cannot go wrong with it!
  7. kar298

kar298 New Member

well i know that the sizer die was not dirty since it was the first time that i have used the die.
  8. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Then you had too much lube on the case. Put a small amount on your fingers and then lube neck and body only. Do not put lube on the shoulder!
  9. kar298

kar298 New Member

yeah i didnt have much lube on the cases at all and when i used the lee lube it was fine but with the rcbs lube it would cause the dimples why would that be?
  10. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

The RCBS lube is archaic and too thick, hence the dimples. The lube is being squeezed off the case neck and onto the shoulder, hense the dimples!! Go buy yourself a can of Hornady spray lube called "one shot" and be done with it! Then clean your sizer die of any RCBS lube before trying the next step. Make sure you read the directions. I used RCBS case lube for years before these new lubes appeared. They all stress the fact that case lube should be used "Sparingly"!
    Last edited: May 5, 2004
  11. Jefflesh

Jefflesh New Member

One of my reloading books writen be Richard Lee, I believe the second edition states that you might not have to lube every case. When you apply lube to the case some will get on the sizing die thus you might be able to apply lube on every 3rd case. I am sure this would help cut down on the lube which might help cure your proble.

Jeff
  12. kar298

kar298 New Member

yeah now that you mention that i do remeber reading that a couple weeks ago when i read the book
  13. Ronald J. Snow

Lube can certainly be eliminated from the reloading process and it might sometimes work; however, prior to going that route be sure to purchase RCBS item number 09340. I sell a few each year, they are called Stuck Case Removers. All rifle cartridges need to be lubed (by whatever means you desire) prior to resizing. One other thing that is suggested is to lube the inside of the case neck to avoid excessive stretching.
  14. Iconoclast

Iconoclast New Member

I have to respectfully disagree with Ron's assertion that "Lube can certainly be eliminated from the reloading process . . . ." Unless you are loading straight wall pistol cartridges with a carbide sizing die, lubrication *MUST* be present. Period. People who doubt this axiom account for a large share of the sales of "stuck case removers!" :)

I've used the RCBS lube for years - a little goes a long way. Once my present supply is gone, I'll try the newer types. I use a lube pad and don't have the lube dents now, but I did when I first started. This is one of many aspects of hand loading where there is an issue of "feel" between the written instructions and the actual task.
  15. Ronald J. Snow

Iconoclast: Please read my entire post. I in no way endorse not using case lube!!!
    By the way, glad to see you over here.