Diopter target sights?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by LDBennett, Apr 19, 2009.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Could someone please explain how diopter sights work.

I understand that they include a variable peep hole and the ability to place colored filters (polarizers as well) in them but what about corrective lens? I suffer "OLD EYES" syndrome and can not focus on the front sight all that well. My eyes tire pretty fast when shooting peep sights on my Kimber 82G.

Anyone got personal experience with adding corrective lenses to these diopter attachments for target peep sights?

LDBennett
  2. FJF0311

FJF0311 New Member

They work great!
    contact
    bjonessights.com
  3. FJF0311

FJF0311 New Member

4. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    LD, I have a Mo's diopter rear sight on my model 70 match rifle and have always been thoroughly impressed with it. I really only use the adjustable aperture to compensate for light conditions since my eyes still work fairly well (about the only thing on my body that still does these days) so I don't have any experience with corrective lenses.
  5. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

LD,:)

I shoot with a Gehmann (German) dioapter rear sight. I removed the color filters, as they had a habit of appearing when I adjusted the appeture opening, when I really did not want them to. The diaopter will allow me to see the dust on the lens of the Gehmann adjustable front sight I use! No need for glasses, at least with my good, but older eyes. They are a big help with eye strain, as the time you spend looking through them in a match can be quite a long time, if you are straining to see the front sight. For a couple of years I wondered how the older guys shot so well, untill my friend showed me why.....I use it in a Redfield Palma rear sight, as it is made for metric European inserts, unlike the earlier rear sights they made. They by the rules use a single lens embedded in the rear appeture, with an adjustment ring to adjust focus. Best kept secret at the rifle range, for older eyes.;):) Hope this helps, Kirk
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  6. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

And this is the Anschutz.

[​IMG]

I also have an adjustable front aperature so I don't have to change them manually.

Latigo