DIRTY BOMBS.....

Discussion in 'VMBB General Discussion' started by rooter, Dec 3, 2006.

1. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*

Marty Robbins old hometown, Glendale Arizona--a su
    POLLIUM 210.....We sure have been hearing a lot in the news about the radioactive isotope Pollium 210. I am sure we will continue hearing about the mystery and drama involved as it makes exciting news about the Russian spy being done in by it. How the facts were determined that it was this particular isotope, I don't know. Radiation detection devices/intruments I was familar with only determined the type of radiation, i.e., ALPHA, BETA, GAMMA, X-RAY, NEUTRONS. I am sure this hazard it an ALPHA emitter----unbroken human skin, a sheet of paper, latex gloves, are examples of material that offer protection from the radiation hazard---breathed-in, ingested, or thru wounds in the skin are ALPHA particles portals of entry into your body. P-210 doesn't last as long as many of the radioactive emitters do---some last for thousands of years and then those emitters are described as having 'half-lives'---a half life is how long it takes for a particular isotope to 'decay' to a half strength amount, so you can see, always half, never 'all the way'. PO-210 has a half life of 138 days so that is why I remark to you that eventually the story about this incident will bleed off to a page in history. When it is discussed that terrorists may employ 'dirty bombs', certainly it is something that should grab your undivided attention....You recall years ago when nuclear weapons were being tested in the open atmosphere and the radioactive clouds would sometimes circle the Earth? All that time the radioactive clouds contamination would be falling back to populated areas, thereby causing it's damage....Cows milk was a great source for several of the best known isotopes---the 'crud' would seed across grazing pastures--the cows would eat the grass and the contaminating materials would eventually be passed on thru the milk to humans, especially young humans...Those contaminating events went on and on until eventually open air testing of nuclear weapons was banned. Oh yes, you still have those radioactive isotopes in your body---the dumb old body picked those ALPHA emitters up much like it would the calcium in cow milk and deposited it there on your young and handsome bones.....Cesium 137 and Strontium 90 were a couple we spoke of when I used to teach this subject back in the 60's. I rec'd this type training at the Sandia Corporation over in New Mexico.... The Navy Seabees, of which I was a member, was assigned the additional responsibility of disaster recovery operations, be it disasters that were natural or man-made. Nuclear weapons accidents/incidents fell into the catagory of recovering from the effects of contaminating events. Also we dealt with biological (germs) and chemical warfare agent recovery and decontamination. DIRTY BOMBS must be the height of warfare capabilites....there are isotpes that if spread out and about, would make it impossible to ever occupy those areas/facilities again.....I think of a gamma ray emitter that has a half life of 24.5K. years---yeah Pilgrim, that K. means a thousand!!!! Our government has an American born terrorist in custody currently---his name is Padilla and he was trained and is being accused of to employ a 'dirty bombs' on CONUS.....Somewhere, some time, unknown to those around, that insidious event would occur and noone will ever know until casualities are caused----terrible deaths and incapacitations on a scale unknown in human history. In 1966 I was serving on a NETOPS team---registered and ready to mount out on any accident or incident anywhere in the free world... There was a terrible accident over Spain involving a B-52 bomber with 4 thermo-nukes aboard and an aerial refueling plane....No, I didn't have to go as the Air Force had sufficent personnel to respond....It was a clean-up job that surpassed anything ever accomplished before....there was no so called, NUCLEAR CONTRIBUTION or fissioning event, but lots of scattering of the weapons materials, primarily ALPHA emitters as I recall.. Tons of the contaminted soil was hauled back to CONUS and for the most part, kept quiet from the citizens. Do pay attention when you hear of dirty bombs----do hope and pray that our country is protected and informed. Chief
  2. JD

JD *VMBB Admin*

Thanks for the info, Chief. Very informative.

JD
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Ominous, when one thinks about it...... :( :(