Dirty Weapons

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Airborne1101, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Airborne1101

Airborne1101 New Member

I had an experience this weekend I need some help with. I was on the range working up loads for both 9mm and .40 S&W so I had several cartridges loaded and marked and was firing them for accuarcy, recoil, etc. I was logging all my data in my range book ( normal procedure for me ) when two other shooters came over and wanted to know "what the heck I was doing?" I explained and they commented that they would never, ever shoot reloaded ammo through their "high dollar" pistols. The relaoded ammo was dangerous, and above all way to "Dirty" to shoot without having to clean the weapon after 100 shots or so. I explained that I was careful and VERY precise when I reload and that the safety factor was the reason I was testing different loads that day. as for the dirty factor, I have found no appreciable difference in the amount of fouling or any other residue as a result of shooting reloads. anybody else find a large amount of "Dirt" when shooting reloads? And as for "high dollar" weapons I was shooting a Browing Hi-power 9mm and a Desert Eagle .40 S&W. I am glad I wasn't working on a .357 Mag load they wouldn't know what to think I had when I pulled my Korth revolver out of the case.

Airborne.... All the way!!
  2. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

but daddy, everyone has a right to their opinion.
    .......my daughter in 1st grade

you are correct, but if you can not back it up with logic & facts than others will look at you strange
    and think perhaps you are shy some important parts.
    ----------------

of late i have also been subjected to to much opinion
    from the entitlement generation.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Ignorance is bliss, so those musta been two happy individuals. I'll leave it at that before this becomes a rant.

The best ammo for any gun is ammo tailored specifically for that gun and handloading is the only way to do that. My target loads are cleaner than factory loads, as I try find a powder that will burn completely and be accurate. A couple of loads with Accr#7 may be a bit dirtier, but it comes clean easily enough.

I'll bet they were shooting cheap foriegn factory ammo through their "expensive" guns, more dangerous than handloads IMO.... morons. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (ok, wee little rant i had to get in)
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Now, this is just silly. Those guys thought they 'knew better'. Jeez.

Well said.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I believe the correct response to, "I would never shoot reloads through my guns, as reloads are dirty/dangerous/whatever", is, "Well, okay then".

Then continue to shoot what you what through YOUR guns. Hell with them other guys' opinions.
  6. olehippy

olehippy New Member

I quit using terms that include “reload” (reloading, reloaded ect) partly for this reason, and for idiots like you encountered. I handload my ammo. I too have talked to people that think of reloaded ammo as seconds or cheap substitutes for ‘real’ bullets, looks like you are using recycled toilet tissue. I also have been approached by people at ranges to handload for them, might say something about the quality of my loads.

If these snobbish idiots (to me ‘high dollar’ means they’re probably struggling to pay their weapons off. . .) had the brains to listen to you I thing you said it all when you said ‘precise’, probably would have been fun to shoot against them!

‘having to clean the weapon after 100 shots or so’ I’m a dirty old hippy, but I clean my weapons every time I shoot them! (usually right after my once weekly bath, but I’m 1 of those dirty reloaders. . .)

Just consider the source, you were talking to idiots.

Miles
  7. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

As i was reading this post I kept thinking to myself that these guys totally have it backwards. I didnt realize Liberals went to the gun range!
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I probably would have told them that it was obvious that they don't know what in the he** they are talking about, and then I would go on shooting!
  9. woolleyworm

If you think they'll be back out to the range, I'd print out this page and post it up for them to stumble across! :eek::eek: :D
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ahhh, the ol' "ignorance is bliss" motto, too true, except its not... You see, truly ignorant people dont realize they are ignorant and carry on their lives happily with no second thoughts and rarely if ever poke their noses into other peoples business. Now stupid people on the other hand are the ones that know in the back of their mind that there is probably a better way to do things. they have an uncontrollable urge to spread their knowledge even when they have been informed of their lack thereof, and they force their opinions and beliefs upon their fellow man. And perhaps the most important difference in the two, is that stupid people are just to stupid to change it. Sooo, in my opinion, "stupidity is bliss" ;)
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

that a boy JLA
  12. res45

res45 New Member

I love those types at the gun range I get all there free brass they leave lying around,and cleaning there gun every 100 rds,who do they think they are benchrest shooters? They will wear the gun out cleaning it instead of shooting it.

Best part about it is I'm still shooting when there sitting home because the ammo shelf is empty and mine is about 1/3 the price of there factory ammo. Show them a few of your targets compared to theres,that usually shuts them up.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  13. woolleyworm

TOUCHE' well stated ;)
  14. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

The guys are idiots...reloaded/handloaded ammo is typically cleaner and more accurate than factory ammo(as it was previously posted). Those guys have no clue...nice choice in your firearms though.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Holy freakin crap!!! I just realized I described every liberal democrat in existence. The world makes a little more sense now;)