Dirty Weapons

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Airborne1101, Nov 2, 2009.

1. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

Since they don't reload, did you ask them if you could pick up their brass?
  2. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

It's OK to be friendly, but when I go to the range, I go there to shoot, I try to avoid conversation with people I don't even know, if you're just there for a social thing then I guess that's fine if that's what you want, but I fined it annoying, when I have some one asking one question after another, when I'm trying to record or work up a load, I enjoy talking to folks, but there is a time and place for everything, I don't like being bothered when I'm trying to concentrate, bottom line, you're doing fine, next time try to stay away from overly talkative people, they'll just mess up your day..... and nine times out of ten you know more about what you're doing than they do.

Regards

tEN wOLVES
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

If I encountered this situation the first thing I would do is offer up a contest to see which ammo shoots the best because after all that is what counts. I'm no expert shooter but from what I've seen at the range from newbie people like this is they can't shoot.

When I go to the range mid week and have to open the gate to get in (private club range) there is rarely anyone else there. When someone does show up they are usually a dedicated shooter and I will stop what I'm doing if approached and often even offer up a conversation if I'm enticed. Being focused is important but being friendly to fellow shooters is important too. The fellowship is fleeting but often informative. It is rare that the shooters are not reloaders. On a public range the opposite is probably true. I used to go to public ranges but never got comments like in the case presented. I can not believe anyone would have the gall to do that. It appears they were full of themselves and wanted reinforcement as to why they didn't reload. I started reloading so I could shoot more with the same budget. These idiots haven't figured it out yet.

I would point out that all the components I use are the same ones used by the ammo manufactures. The powders are even the same (we buy the canister version and the ammo manufactures use bulk versions graded to get to a specific velocity). There is no difference in the dirtiness except that some powders happen to generate more residue than others. It makes little difference to the gun's performance even after hundreds of rounds. And I too clean my guns after ever range session even if I only shoot a handful or hundreds of cartridges. Every gun in my several safes is clean!

LDBennett
  4. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

i am trying to think out of the box here and i have th answer! I believe these two gentleman may work for Wolf Ammo.!!!!
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I guess I'd say that I go to the range as a social activity then. :) Probably the same reason I hang around this place.
    Most of my shooting used to be down at the farm at my own range...and I don't mind those nice quiet range sessions at all. But now I do sneak out to the local range in the town that I work too if I get the itch to burn some ammo on the days that I work.
    I don't mind taking a break from my shooting to get into a BS session every so often. It gives the barrels a chance to cool down and my shoulder or thumbs a break from the action. Some guys you visit with are good down to earth folks and we can swap info/tips, but there are always a few of those yahoos like Airborne encountered too. I'm not much of a preacher, but I don't mind attempting to show them that they might be mistaken too. If they're bull-headed enough to not want to listen I'll politely back out of the conversation and go back to enjoying my "cheap/dirty ammo", my oddball calibers, shooting from the wrong side of the rifle, or whatever our difference of opinion might be.

I've been offered quite a bit of brass from the guys that don't reload, had a chance to try out a few guns that I don't have (and have let a few others try some of my toys out), even struck up a few deals while at that public range.
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Now that's funny! :D
  7. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Its best to keep them this way - more primers, powder, brass and bullets for us!
  8. Airborne1101

Airborne1101 New Member

I am a firm believer that every firearm has a particular round that it likes to eat. One of the fun part of reloading is mixing and matching bullet types & weights, Brass manufacturers, Powder types & charges, & primers in combination utill you find the best combo for that particular firearm. As a side note it gives me reasons to go to the range and stay on the loading bench. also as a result of my quest my daughter has decided that her calling in life is to be a forensic firearm & tool mark examiner. Anyway I will continue the quest, and as so many others on this forum have found the ultimate round for any firearm is not necessarily the heaviest, or the fastest but somewhere in between which makes our quest all the more challenging and fun.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I dont know, Wolf ammo is some pretty dirty stuff. Doest really fit in with their only shootn clean ammo claim... Was pretty funny though:D
  10. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

My answer would have been "well you better watch out then".
  11. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I guess those guys don't realize that professional benchrest shooters with ten thousand dollar rifles shoot only reloads....
  12. olehippy

olehippy New Member

Good point Woodchuck. ‘Professional Shooters’ – AKA ‘Snipers’, military and LE (SWAT, both local and fed) – only use handloaded ammo, many times with once fired brass.

Granted often the actual shooter didnt actually load the round (some do), but it damn sure isnt off-the-shelf boxed ammo. BTW their armors has a bit more training and professionalism than the union worker at Wolf or Winchester. . .

Miles
  13. Airborne1101

Airborne1101 New Member

+1 to the hippy. I have several freinds who were military snipers two of whom now work special deatails for the secret service and they wont chamber a factory loaded round. they spend hours upon hours working hand loads up for specific assignments, ranges, environments etc. these guys are the best of the best. If they trust hand loads I am sure it's good enough for me.
  14. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I'll say. A lot of times I'm too polite. Too many lonely people at the range who are there to talk not shoot. There have been several times I have gone to the range and after three or four hours, leave and realize you have been shooting for half an hour.:(
  15. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Screw em..... opinions are like butt holes....

everybody's got 1
    ....:D