1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

DISABLED VETERAN

Discussion in 'Disabled Hunters & Shooters Forum' started by blind bud, Nov 1, 2011.

1. hunterfisher

hunterfisher New Member

Thanks, papadude. This is really kind of you. What does a person have to do to get in on a draw? I've always dreamed of huntin', Iowa. You folks sure have big deer out there. What part of, Iowa are you located in?
  2. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

first off , welcome toTff papadude. And i think your offer is a great giveback to our men in need . My hats off to you.
  3. papadude

papadude New Member

Hunterfisher, Contact the Iowa DNR at www.Iowadnr.com and the web site has all the info you'll need.
    I'm located in south central Iowa 30 miles north of the Missouri line and 15 miles west of I35.
    We do have some nice deer up here and a bunch of turkeys.
    The steel building in the picture has a 12'x 30' two room bunk house in the left end of it. I added it for my brothers and nephews to have a place to stay while they are down here, they come down quite often for the weekends just to get out of the city. we can set you up in there for a week or so.
    We don't have a rifle season in Iowa. there are two shotgun seasons that you must use slugs in. First season starts first Sat. in Dec. and runs until the next Wed. Last just 5 days.
    Second season starts the following Sat. And last 9 days.
    You can also use a Muzzle loader instead of a shotgun, during those seasons.
    Bow season starts Oct. 1st and runs until shotgun season and then opens back up after shotgun for a couple weeks or so.
    I heard the Governor tags ( which are 75 special celebrity tags the Gov gives out) are going to give 40 to disabled vets next year don't know for sure but you might ask.
  4. blind bud

blind bud New Member

thank you papadude i would love to hunt iowa that would be a dream to get a chance at an iowa buck .
    i will try and get started on the draw today
    blind bud
  5. papadude

papadude New Member

I guess I should mention niether my brothers, nephews or myself hunt the shotgun seasons we only bow hunt and hunt the early muzzleloading season. So both of the shotgun seasons are open. Also should add that it can be mighty cold up here in Dec. Of course 6 of our stands have propane heaters in them. and the Boss Ladies stand has a porta potty, carpeting and office chairs.She's kind of spoiled.
  6. FUBAR 6

FUBAR 6 New Member

I'm a Wounded Warrior 100% +++located in the Texas Hill Country

Never been offered a hunt through the program, have been offered hunts by local individuals....

I was in the hospital/medical recovery program for almost four years, Wounded Warrior Project was great then, but has done little after I separated....many phone calls & e-mails but no offers to hunt, a few for husband/wife counseling...

However I will admit I'm difficult, require someone to travel & hunt with me, plus I have to use an ATV type wheelchair (which I have) or stay in the vehicle....

I suggest that any disabled looking for hunts, just search and apply at as many places as possible....

One sad thing--there are many pay to hunt organizations that are not equipped to handle wheelchair hunters, and some that charge extra....

I have not givin up, but as I said, WWP has not offered anything to me, so I go after anything I can....

Best of luck!
  7. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Welcome Fubar 6 to our little group, lots of vets.
    hope ya decide to hang around.

I'm not miffed WWF is for recent vets only.

The VA is gonna be, if not allready, overwhelmed, God Bless em (WWF) for helping these young men & women.
  8. FUBAR 6

FUBAR 6 New Member

Not saying that I'm upset with them, just saying the ads may be a little misleading....ESP if someone thinks WWP gives all wounded warriors a chance to hunt.

There seems to be more individuals offering hunts than the Wounded Warrior Program.

I admit I don't have empirical data ;-)
  9. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    I'll bet WWP is a little overwhelmed due to volume right now.
    When the wounded stop coming back, if ever :( , and they catch up.

Then they'll go into the recreational part of helping...... dontcha think ?:D
  10. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Papadude,
    If your generous offer comes to fruition, you could set up an account of some type so some of us could donate to help you defray expenses. Nice place and nice gesture!:)
  11. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing ...
  12. papadude

papadude New Member

I had some contact with Blind Bud earlier in the year regarding a hunt this year but have not heard back from a couple of e-mails I sent him, so if you are on here Bud give me a call regarding a hunt. I would still like to help with a couple of hunts this year. The only thing a person needs to do is get their Iowa deer tag and we'll feed you and your spouse.You can stay in our bunk house, Nothing fancy but you can't beat the price.
  13. papadude

papadude New Member

Sorry to say Blind Bud will not be able to make a hunt this year. So I have both Iowa Shotgun seasons open if there is any disabled vets who would like to try an Iowa deer hunt. Like I said earlier all you need to do is draw an Iowa permit and I'll furnish the housing and even feed you. I have a ranger 6 wheeler to get you to the blind and also a couple 4 wheelers. If there is any interest PM me and we can work out the details.
  14. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

I am a disabled ed vet myself. Only 80% because of the stupid VA math. I feel any veteran no matter what campaign or time frame should get the same benefits. Makes me upset to still see to the day the Vietnam vets not getting what they deserve. I am a OIF vet from 2003.