Disapointment with the current crop of CC pistols

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by AngelDeville, Nov 19, 2007.

1. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

Until recently I hadn't been shooting for at least a year, but I had been keeping up on my reading material (G&A etc...), and it had been even longer since I looked and some of the newer CC oriented guns... (Beretta PX4, Kel-tec, glock).

So I'm at the range shooting my favorite CC gun (.380 Colt Pony) and I'm thinking that with all the new technology, there MUST be a better Gun out there for me (Larger Caliber AND smaller size)

I must say I'm very dissapointed in the selection of .380's 9mm, and .40's that are currently on the market.

I'm not going by published specs mind you, but I am going by perceived size, and ergonomics, but all of the guns I tried had huge fat wide slides, when compared to the caliber, and just seemed to be excessively bulky for what they are. And they didn't seem very concealable....

The only gun I wanted to try but of course can't, due to availability, is the Seecamp .380.

I really expected to be "blown away" by the selection of CC guns, I expected to find something extraordinary, and just "have to have it".

So I guess I'll just have to ride off into the sunset with my Colt Pony, and Colt Dick Special for CC
  2. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I posted about the Bersa Thunder 380CC in a thread a few days ago, and not one person replied so I'll take it that not many people know it's out there. In fact, I had a hard time finding a gun shop that knew what it was. I handled one a few days after that post, and was VERY impressed with the gun. It is everything that Bersa should have done with the Thunder 380 the FIRST TIME. It's small enough to be a pocket pistol (I mean it really does disappear in your pocket), with greatly reduced dimensions, and if the reliability is like the first Bersa Thunder 380, then it will be a good gun. Check it out...

The other post...
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=40581

Also, the KelTec P3AT is just awesome for concealability, but needs about 200 rounds through it to loosen it up so it ejects rounds correctly... It also feels like junk to the touch since it's very loose, and VERY lightweight.

With that said, I agree with you to a large extent. Everything that people have been bragging about in the larger calibers seems just too large to carry comfortably and not seem like lugging around an appliance.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

For average pocket gun calibers the 380 Kel-Tecs are good guns So are the Bersa's. My Kel-Tec works great, Although it is lacking in the finish department. For 9mm the Kel-Tec is a good gun once again and so is the Kahr P9 and Springfield EMP and some of the Para's. For 40S&W the Kahr P40 is probably one of the best.
    BTW Pony I put my opion in your post
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  4. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

The Bersa was tolerable, but my main beef with it is the grip seems to be longer than the slide. I guess I don't mind sacrifiing a couple of rounds for a gun that can be concealed well.

Kel-tec's were a close second but for some reason the block shaped slide just rubbed me the wrong way.

Here is my Pony compared to the new EMP 9mm, the EMP could easily be a 6+1 9mm with a little shorter barrel, and then it would be an improvement over my 6+1 .380. but instead they opted for a 9+1 for the EMP

I guess my view of CC is to have a concealable gun to get you out of a jam, not something you can get into a firefight with.

Maybe I'm just getting grumpy in my old age......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Apparently, you looked at a Keltec P11, as all the other K/T guns are very thin-especially the .32 & .380. As a matter of fact the .32 is one of the thinnest autos made. And they don't require 200 rounds to work properly, as a rule.
    Big , blocky slides seem to be the rage in all the tacticool guns. There is absolutely NO reason for most 9mm slides to be anywhere near as thick as they are. But people buy them like sheep, anyway.
    Bill
  6. Personally, I've never liked the Kel-Tecs though I know some do. It's all a matter of what rings your chimes. My own choice for CCW tends toward one of three choices: A Smith snubbie (your choice; I like the 637), a Sig P-230/232, or one of the small Glocks, 26, 27, or 33. It's hard to beat any of these in my humble opinion.
  7. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

I have decided to drown my sorrow and dissapointment with another pre-war Dick Special...... this time with a 2" barrel.... I think that will cure the CCW blues....
  8. It's hard to beat those old Colts, Angel. I would snap one up in a heartbeat if I came across a good one. It's really too bad Colt doesn't still produce them. I suspect they would be excellent sellers.
  9. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

they have two of em at the shop, want one?
  10. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Mine stovepiped at least one round out of every 2-3 magazines until I got it really broken in well. I read that the gun liked hotter ammo to make the slide operate correctly, and that made sense, seeing as the slide when new was pretty dang hard to cycle with the stiff new spring. After about 200 rounds, it fires like a champ and doesn't stovepipe, even with practice ammo...
  11. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

never had a stovepipe in my Dick Special:D
  12. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

UPDATE!

This weekend I went to the Sportsman's Wharehouse, to do a little holster shopping, and I had my Pony with me.

I proceeded to belly up to the gun counter, and compared my pony side by side with all the little .380's and 9mm's and .40's....

They were all HUGE by comparison, particularly in the grip frame area. (too long)

I't not often I can look back on a decision I made when I was young and dumb, and realize I made the right desicion....

by the way the best holster I have found for the Pony is a Bianchi Shadow made for a 2" S&W Chief revolver..... and my 2" Dick Special fits the same holster as well....:D
  13. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Para LDA CCW P7 in 45ACP or the S&W model 36 they are hard to beat as a carry weapon. all steel and easy to conceal, I wouldn't mind having a Colt Pony but the dollars aren't there and if I buy a new gun it will be a long gun in 22 Hornet
  14. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

I always trust the 686...;)

[​IMG]
  15. Ohio Rusty

Ohio Rusty New Member

There is another really good pistol out there but the price is what kept me
    away ...It's the Rohrbaugh 9mm. Excellent pistol. subcompact and 9mm to boot but the high price tag sent me to Keltec for a P3AT.
    Ohio Rusty