1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Disaster shelter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ranger-1, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Ranger-1

Ranger-1 New Member

Anyone have a disaster shelter?

Almost done with mine, Two 40ft containers welded together under 10 feet of California's great dirt near a lake.....
  2. ARB

ARB New Member

I wish I could, but the wife only lets me dig holes in our yard big enough for planting flowers, trees and shrubs. I'd like to plant one of those!
  3. topper

topper New Member

How did ya get them big containers down in that hole and weld them? That must have been an awful job in the CA heat? What kind of entrance did you make? Is it concealed from view? How about electric service/generator and water? Ya got a great idea. I would like to do something like that here in my woods. Make it totally concealed with a hidden doorway. With enough supplies, a person could hold out a long time in there.
  4. Ranger-1

Ranger-1 New Member

There is a good book out there called Dare to prepare, Check it out....Still working on cold storage and a water tank, Generator for power (very small one needed) propane and much more....

Also you can do a lot with a big 4x4 forklift and a skip....Near Lake Isabella, Always need to be near a good water source....
  5. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Wish I owned the property to build a shelter. :(

My dream house would be built underground for several reasons. Warm in the winter, cool in the summer, cheap utilities, don't have to paint it & don't have to worry 'bout tornados / high wind, or termites. :rolleyes: :D

Hey Ranger; Is your shelter built like a storm cellar, for surviving a tornado, or is it going to be set up w/ special ventilation & water filters for long-term survival during an attack or SHTF.

Pictures?

SR
  6. Just One Shot

Just One Shot Member

Yea I got one, it's called a basement.
    ;)