1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

discount ammo? Where

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by gregw, Feb 22, 2011.

1. gregw

gregw New Member

Is there a secret to finding discounts on ammunition? From what research I have done, Cheaper than Dirt beats Bass Pro hands down.'

I haven't compared their prices to other shops, such as:

Academy Sports
    Cabella's
    Walmart
    etc

Any inside tips? I thought I'd ask the salesclerks if they were hip to any upcoming sales on my rounds of preference, in my case .243 loads.
  2. Juker

Juker New Member

Do you have any farm supply stores in your area? (Rural King, Blain's Farm & Fleet, etc. - ?) In my neck o'the woods, they always have the best prices, better than China-Mart (correction: Walmart), Dick's, etc.

Plenty of online sources, such as Natchez, but watch those shipping costs...
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

If you don't mind shooting re-manufactured stuff, USA Ammo has great prices.
  4. gregw

gregw New Member

What is the consensus on Sellier & Bellot Ammunition

I have seen online prices pretty low, but if there is any doubt as to the safety and reliability of their loads, it rather not save $!
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I've had good experiences with S&B. IIRC, reloaders aren't as fond of the brass, but the factory-new stuff is good.

EDIT: I have only used their FMJ .380. It has been good, though.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Their ammo is pretty good quality, like Josh said, it's not the easiest to reload. I still manage to reload it just fine, I get alot of SB 45acp brass from a guy who would rather not hassle with it. Even he will admit that it deprimes much easier on my Dillon or Chucker than it does with his press. I use an RCBS Universal deprimer for all my tough to decap brass.
  8. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

I like S&B to reload, I can always tell when an S&B casing hits the sizing die, by the effort required to de-cap and then re-seat a primer, but primer pockets stay snug for a long time. I'll take all the S&B casings ya want to send me. S&B is usually loaded a little hotter, so a bit more bark. CZ uses S&B for the testing on new guns and I have heard even designs their pistols with S&B ammo in mind.
  9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

10. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member