Dismantle Winchester 52B Bolt

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Mainspring, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Mainspring

Mainspring Member

Hi all, just met my match. I need info on how to dismantle the bolt body of a Winchester 52B. Looks like I have to pull back the bolt handle from the breech bolt and knock out the Firing pin guide pin. IF that's so, what's the best way to compress the firng pin spring to get the pin back in again?
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

You are on the right path. Put the body of the bolt in a padded vice and pull the bolt handle back until you can drive the firing pin guide pin out leaving the punch in place. Remove the firing spring plug and then pull out your punch putting a gloved hand over the hole to capture the firing pin spring.

Going back you need to compress the spring with anything that will go across
    the spring yet fit inside the bolt. The right sized flat bladed screw driver works best. I made up a tool on my lathe from an old piece of aluminum cleaning rod by cutting a shoulder a slot for the pin to pass that barely fits inside the spring and yet goes into the firing pin. The spring while stout is no big deal compressing, it is getting the pin started and keeping the spring behind it can be a bit challenging but if you have the flat blade of screw driver flat to the pin you will have it made.

Ron
  3. Mainspring

Mainspring Member

Hey Ron, That's just what I needed to hear. Thanks, makes sense now. Good idea about making the tool. I'm going to do that also. Thanks for your help and I wish you a very Merry Christmas and very happy and healthy new year Ken.
  4. muddober

muddober Active Member

Ken: You are welcome and a Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

Ron