The Firearms Forum banner

Disposal of "misfired" rounds

12K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 ·
Ok shot some 30-06 mil surplus. Primary hit-no boom. Now what? Any ideas on what to SAFELY do wiht the rounds???:confused:

#2 · (Edited)
you can take a pair of pliers and pull the bullets.

Keep them pointed in a safe direction(both ends) and there shouldnt be much risk. Without a barrel to contain the pressure, if they go off they wont do much, but better safe than sorry. They might still be able to put out an eye.

#3 ·
you can take a pair of pliers and pull the bullets.

Keep them pointed in a safe direction(both ends) and there shouldnt be much risk. Without a barrel to contain the pressure, if they go off they wont do much.
Thought that might be the answer. If the brass ain't too banged up, how do you get the primer out to reload the brass???:)

#4 ·
Do you have a bullet puller of some sort?

If you reload, you can disassemble the cartridge and reuse the components.

If you don't reload, use a pair of pliers to pull the bullet out of the case; put the powder out in your yard--it's rich in nitrates and can make good fertiliser. :)

#7 ·
Do you have a bullet puller of some sort?

If you reload, you can disassemble the cartridge and reuse the components.

If you don't reload, use a pair of pliers to pull the bullet out of the case; put the powder out in your yard--it's rich in nitrates and can make good fertiliser. :)
Good thoughts-waste NOTHING. I swear this is the only thing that will allow a business to stay in business in the 21st century- NO outputs except saleable product and zero waste.

I would like to reload the milspec 30-06 stuff so the primer is a bit further out or at least flush. Most of the primers on the misfires were sunken so the firing pin did not ignite the powder.

#10 ·
ditch the pliers.. get a kinetic hammer and dismantle them. reload the brass with a good primer and reassemble the load and shoot it.

#15 ·
I have deprimed live primers. As said, take it slow. Even if it goes off, it will probably try to blow it out of the primer pocket.

Two things to watch out for if you are using mil spec ammo.

1. Check down inside the case to see if there are two or one holes in the primer pocket. Some mil spec brass is "Berden primed" (two holes) which is a problem for depriming, and you need Berdden primers. shows a good summary.

2. Mil spec primer pockets are usually crimped. The crimp needs to be removed before you try to prime the brass. Midway has a number of tools that will remove the crimp. Or you can use a countersink on a drill...
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=114039 has some good points.

You can use most dies in most presses; I think Dillon needs to use its own dies, but I may be wrong on that. There are plenty of Dillon users here. I have RCBS and I could use most makes of die on it.

#16 ·
:mad:
I have deprimed live primers. As said, take it slow. Even if it goes off, it will probably try to blow it out of the primer pocket.

Two things to watch out for if you are using mil spec ammo.

1. Check down inside the case to see if there are two or one holes in the primer pocket. Some mil spec brass is "Berden primed" (two holes) which is a problem for depriming, and you need Berdden primers. shows a good summary.

2. Mil spec primer pockets are usually crimped. The crimp needs to be removed before you try to prime the brass. Midway has a number of tools that will remove the crimp. Or you can use a countersink on a drill...
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=114039 has some good points.

You can use most dies in most presses; I think Dillon needs to use its own dies, but I may be wrong on that. There are plenty of Dillon users here. I have RCBS and I could use most makes of die on it.
Very good info. Thanks. I am a little squirrely around live rounds. I had a 40mm Mk-19 round blow up in the feed tray (18 month old ammo with non-flush primers). The exploded casing sent pieces flying around the gun mount. I STILL like to find the QA inspector for that lot of ammo- I'd give a 40mm enema.:mad:

#17 ·
Most all presses are threaded for 7/8X14 dies which is an industry standard now. The big presses (Le classic cast and RCBS Rockchucker) use bigger dies but come with a bushing for adapting to 7/8X14

#18 ·
Just be carefull of some misfires as i have had a few that got real hot after i unloaded the gun. so i took the bullet first into the ground and pushed it in the ground and got away. just a few mins. latter that darn thing went off. So just a fare warning. I now take a bucket of water with me so if they do that i drop them in the water and its been a safer thing. I have had most of them be the old 303 brit ammo that have done this.

#19 ·
I would like to reload the milspec 30-06 stuff so the primer is a bit further out or at least flush. Most of the primers on the misfires were sunken so the firing pin did not ignite the powder.
Bad idea. By not seating the primer all the way (about .004 below flush) it leaves the firing pin to finish seating it creating a fail to fire. Just get yourself a press and dies and reuse the brass with quality components.

#20 ·
Whatever you do just be careful. I always wondered what to do with them. I always thought about throwing misfired ammo out the window when going down the road. I dont want to have anything to do with ammo that I had in my weapon and the cartridge wouldnt go off.

#23 ·
just put your eyepro on and use the kinetic puller to retrieve the bullet and throw it in the decapper of choice and knock the primer out. If you're really worried about it going off, wear gloves and do it away from anything flammable; worst case it does go off, it ain't gonna hurt you. But I've never had one go off and I've banged on live ones (both hit and untouched) and nary a one has ever gone off. (watch, next one I do will explode on me... JINX!)

I would toss the powder, don't even try to guess what it is.

If the primer pocket is crimped, it will take some extra oomph to get the primer out but like said, just take it easy and tap it out.

#24 ·
Thanks fellas. I used to throw my missfired or jammed 40mm over the side into the river. Can't do that now know better- I can not imagine how many Viet kid fishers have dredged ammo with a net that has gone off once they got it up and in the boat. JLA very good die data!!

#25 ·
ditto what's been said.. except... on ammo that don't go off when i pull the trigger.. I leave the bbl pointed down range for a good minute.. then I setup to give it another hit on the firing pin only rarely have i had a real dud round i have once in a blue moon had a round that needed 2 strikes.

on the duds.. kinetic puller and reclaim what i can...

#26 ·
ditto what's been said.. except... on ammo that don't go off when i pull the trigger.. I leave the bbl pointed down range for a good minute.. then I setup to give it another hit on the firing pin only rarely have i had a real dud round i have once in a blue moon had a round that needed 2 strikes.

on the duds.. kinetic puller and reclaim what i can...
+1 on leaving it in the gun for a moment. On vary rare occasions you get a "hang fire"...delayed fire. If it is a delayed fire, check for barrel obstructions (bullet stuck in the barrel) before shooting any more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.