Disposal of "misfired" rounds

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by targetacqmgt, Oct 7, 2012.

1. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Ok shot some 30-06 mil surplus. Primary hit-no boom. Now what? Any ideas on what to SAFELY do wiht the rounds???:confused:
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

you can take a pair of pliers and pull the bullets.

Keep them pointed in a safe direction(both ends) and there shouldnt be much risk. Without a barrel to contain the pressure, if they go off they wont do much, but better safe than sorry. They might still be able to put out an eye.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  3. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Thought that might be the answer. If the brass ain't too banged up, how do you get the primer out to reload the brass???:)
  4. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Do you have a bullet puller of some sort?

If you reload, you can disassemble the cartridge and reuse the components.

If you don't reload, use a pair of pliers to pull the bullet out of the case; put the powder out in your yard--it's rich in nitrates and can make good fertiliser. :)
  5. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

6. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I didnt know if a kenetic puller would be as safe, is why I suggested the pliers. I havent used one though.
  7. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Good thoughts-waste NOTHING. I swear this is the only thing that will allow a business to stay in business in the 21st century- NO outputs except saleable product and zero waste.

I would like to reload the milspec 30-06 stuff so the primer is a bit further out or at least flush. Most of the primers on the misfires were sunken so the firing pin did not ignite the powder.
  8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

The kinetic pullers are plenty safe, and they're the only way to be able to reuse the bullet and brass. Pliers will cause damage.
  9. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

ditch the pliers.. get a kinetic hammer and dismantle them. reload the brass with a good primer and reassemble the load and shoot it.
  11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The same way you always do, with the resizing die ? :confused:
  12. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Oh I have everything for 7.62X39 except the press. I will need to get a set for 30-06. What is a good press that will accept ANY mfg dies? Or are the dies specific to the press??
  13. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Ja but the primer did NOT fire:eek:
  14. Country101

Country101 Active Member

You can deprime live primers. Take it slow. That has come up before. I think I remember 2 instances where they had them go off. Nothing major, if I remember correctly.
  15. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have deprimed live primers. As said, take it slow. Even if it goes off, it will probably try to blow it out of the primer pocket.

Two things to watch out for if you are using mil spec ammo.

1. Check down inside the case to see if there are two or one holes in the primer pocket. Some mil spec brass is "Berden primed" (two holes) which is a problem for depriming, and you need Berdden primers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hth3Xwoqe9M shows a good summary.

2. Mil spec primer pockets are usually crimped. The crimp needs to be removed before you try to prime the brass. Midway has a number of tools that will remove the crimp. Or you can use a countersink on a drill...
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=114039 has some good points.

You can use most dies in most presses; I think Dillon needs to use its own dies, but I may be wrong on that. There are plenty of Dillon users here. I have RCBS and I could use most makes of die on it.