Disposal of "misfired" rounds

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by targetacqmgt, Oct 7, 2012.

1. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

:mad:
    Very good info. Thanks. I am a little squirrely around live rounds. I had a 40mm Mk-19 round blow up in the feed tray (18 month old ammo with non-flush primers). The exploded casing sent pieces flying around the gun mount. I STILL like to find the QA inspector for that lot of ammo- I'd give a 40mm enema.:mad:
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Most all presses are threaded for 7/8X14 dies which is an industry standard now. The big presses (Le classic cast and RCBS Rockchucker) use bigger dies but come with a bushing for adapting to 7/8X14
  3. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Just be carefull of some misfires as i have had a few that got real hot after i unloaded the gun. so i took the bullet first into the ground and pushed it in the ground and got away. just a few mins. latter that darn thing went off. So just a fare warning. I now take a bucket of water with me so if they do that i drop them in the water and its been a safer thing. I have had most of them be the old 303 brit ammo that have done this.
  4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Bad idea. By not seating the primer all the way (about .004 below flush) it leaves the firing pin to finish seating it creating a fail to fire. Just get yourself a press and dies and reuse the brass with quality components.
  5. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Whatever you do just be careful. I always wondered what to do with them. I always thought about throwing misfired ammo out the window when going down the road. I dont want to have anything to do with ammo that I had in my weapon and the cartridge wouldnt go off.
  6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

It's a PRIMER, not an ATOM BOMB.

It's got about the same potential as

a cap, from a cap gun. Relax.

Use gloves, and eye protection, if it'll make you feel better.
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

You could get a collet bullet puller and do it that way as well that would be a little more safe than prying on it with pliers in your hand.
  8. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

just put your eyepro on and use the kinetic puller to retrieve the bullet and throw it in the decapper of choice and knock the primer out. If you're really worried about it going off, wear gloves and do it away from anything flammable; worst case it does go off, it ain't gonna hurt you. But I've never had one go off and I've banged on live ones (both hit and untouched) and nary a one has ever gone off. (watch, next one I do will explode on me... JINX!)

I would toss the powder, don't even try to guess what it is.

If the primer pocket is crimped, it will take some extra oomph to get the primer out but like said, just take it easy and tap it out.
  9. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Thanks fellas. I used to throw my missfired or jammed 40mm over the side into the river. Can't do that now know better- I can not imagine how many Viet kid fishers have dredged ammo with a net that has gone off once they got it up and in the boat. JLA very good die data!!
  10. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

ditto what's been said.. except... on ammo that don't go off when i pull the trigger.. I leave the bbl pointed down range for a good minute.. then I setup to give it another hit on the firing pin only rarely have i had a real dud round i have once in a blue moon had a round that needed 2 strikes.

on the duds.. kinetic puller and reclaim what i can...
  11. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

+1 on leaving it in the gun for a moment. On vary rare occasions you get a "hang fire"...delayed fire. If it is a delayed fire, check for barrel obstructions (bullet stuck in the barrel) before shooting any more.
  12. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

If the primer is the only bad part, I use a kinetic bullet puller and replace the primer.
    If the case is corroded, I just toss it in the burn pit out back and enjoy the fireworks when I burn trash. It's not the safest route, but it would be boring if it was safe. Besides, the pit is deep, so the only place for the case to fly is straight up.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  13. soundguy

i save all my trash brass. it's worth money at the scrapper.. plus I have cut up a case and used the brass to patch an old tractor radiator before... :)
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats a good ass idea! BRass is easy to tin and would make fantasic radiator patches for the ol timers at the tractor pulls.
  15. soundguy

i restore antique tractors, and a common rad fix is to cup a piece of copper pipe, pound flat and solder on.. or solder a penny on.. but the rifle bras is nice too. have used it as a sleeve to patch a hard line too..