1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

District Attorney declares most state gun laws unconstitutional

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by nffritos, Jul 2, 2010.

1. nffritos

nffritos Active Member

2. wpage

wpage Active Member

That should be interesting.
  3. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I love this quote from the article:

Using the tactics of the left against them.
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Wish he was my district attorney.

Just dos centavos from an old dinosaur but I think most gun laws passed since the constitution became the law of the land are unconstitutional.

In 1837 Georgia passed a law banning handguns. The law was ruled unconstitutional.

Every gun law since then should have been thrown out just like that one was.
  5. lentz

lentz Former Guest

Run him against obama in 2012
  6. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Unconstitutional or not, if you are charged, it will cost you a pretty penny fighting it even if you know you will win.
  7. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Now if only the SCOTUS could see it this way.
  8. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

A very good reason for loser pays.:cool:
  9. 199er

199er New Member

A law like that would go a long way to leveling that playing field!!
  10. belercous

belercous Former Guest

Mr. Fox has an opinion, and it counts for squat. If he can convince a District Court judge, and a Circuit Court judge, he may have swomething but only in that judicial circuit. McDonald held no law unconstitutional, it merely stated that handgun ownership cannot be banned and remanded the case to the trial court for review in light of the ruling. Of course, Chicago's handgun prohibition will be found unconstituional, but the Wisconsin laws cited are still constitutional under McDonald. Read the case.
    McDonald was a very narrow ruling which dealt only with handgun possession in the home. It did not deal with anything more. Not concealed carry, transportation, knives, possession in bars or public buildings. Mr. Fox is quite optimistic, although mistaken (as of today, under the McDonald holding). I wish he were correct, but it is quite a stretch to say that McDonald permits concealed carry, it just ain't in the Court's opinion.
    I hate to be such a wet blanket, but that's reality.
  11. nffritos

nffritos Active Member

"I hereby declare that this office will no longer accept law enforcement referrals for violations of the following statutes:
  12. belercous

belercous Former Guest

Certainly Mr. Fox can decline to prosecute cases, that is within his purview. What is not within his puriew is declaring laws unconstituional. SCOTUS is the final arbiter on that. Mr. Fox has obviously not read the McDonald and Heller decisions. A first year law student could tell you that neither Heller nor McDonald held that concealed carry (or the other 4 Wisconsin laws) were held unconstitutional. (Nor technically was Chicago's handgun ban. Although for all practical intents, it was)
    Don't get me wrong, I wish he were my D.A. as I live in Illinois where C.C. is banned. But I certainly wouldn't hire him to defend me using his legal theory.
  13. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Agree, Looser pays. Problem is suers are a major constituency group of the members of congress. That's why we can't get Tort reform either.