DIY restorations before and after pics (request)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jackman, Nov 12, 2011.

1. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

It did lose metal. Pitting like on that one is about .005" maybe a little more. You lose that much surface when you clean it down to where you can polish it. Worse is when deeper metal is missing from bubba work or deep dings. I replace metal by filling in with weld. I have done several "re-creations" building pieces from parts, etc. Here is another before/after done completely in-house.:)
    [​IMG]
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ahh, fill welding... That takes talent brother. Ive tried and im a fair welder and I botch half the crap I attempt. Kudos to your skillz. Excellent work! :thumbsup:
  3. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

I use a little MIG welder that you can get pretty good control of what you need to do. I don't think I ever used it on pitting but no reason it not to work but probably not practical. Pitting is usually over a large area and you would add a thick pad to have to work back down to the surface. It has worked well for me filling in grinding marks and deep dings on edges, repairing cracks, etc.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

sweet, and you use a MIG, again, mucho kudos bro! I would have thought a TIG. TIG is the only welding i will use on firearms. Its far prettier, easier to control, and no slag.
  5. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

It's true TIG has its advantages but I use the MIG I have. Cosidering I'm not a welder it works out pretty good for me. I use my MIG with gas - so no slag. MIG is light years better than stick welder when that was all I had.
  6. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

And another before/after. I got this S&W Triple Lock in 1982 for $135 at a gun show. At the time I was practicing engraving on anything handy. The grips I had made in Africa working there in '51, did the eagle with a kind of Dremel tool. Nickle plated it with Texas Plater Supply kit.
    [​IMG]
  7. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

8. CnRnut

CnRnut New Member

This was an old I J that sat in a cow pasture for almost a year after putting
    down a cow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a trip to the blasting cabinet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Well changed my mind not going for a resto just a little perfume on a pig should be fine :D.

I ve got the stocks looking much nicer than they were, would like to get the rust off especially that big chunk on the receiver :( , any ideas that won't remove the bluing too?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Jackman

Jackman New Member

11. Jackman

Jackman New Member

another pic, check the rust on the receiver :bleh:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011