1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Do ALL firearms sales have to go throughan FFL?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by LBlack14, Feb 21, 2011.

1. LBlack14

LBlack14 New Member

Do ALL firearms sales have to go through an FFL?

Am I allowed to sell it on my own, being they're only registered to tell if they've been stolen? At least that was my understanding. How should one go about selling one to a private party?
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Without knowing your state, it's hard to say if it is legal for you to do private sales.

If you're looking for a place to sell things, we have a Buy/Sell/Trade forum on here, and I've found Armslist to be a very easy, productive place to list and browse firearms classifieds.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

In Georgia you can sell it to another individual, face to face, with only seeing proof of age. If you have to ship it, then you have to go through an FFL. If you transfer to anyone in another state, it has to go through an FFL.
  4. LBlack14

LBlack14 New Member

That's what I thought.

I'm in Ohio by the way.
  5. A-FIXER

A-FIXER New Member

Yup, I still live in a free state, no need for ffl within the state
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

In Ct. you can sell or buy from someone paperwork goes to buyer, seller, police (town u live in) state firearms dept
  7. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

If it's an antique (pre 1899) there's no need for ffl. That's a federal law so check your own state for exceptions.
  8. Sandman

Sandman Member

Same in Louisiana.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

In MD, sales of "regulated firearms" (handguns and "assault rifles") have to go through a dealer. Conventional rifles and shotguns do not.

Jim
  10. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

As you may or may or may not know, California has among the toughest of gun laws. The last gun show I went to had a a sign reading something like "absolutely noone will buy or sell any firearm without the ten day bla bla and background check and ffl bla bla, no exceptions!". Everything public and private is suposed to go through a licensed dealer(other than antiques). But.. I personaly have bought an assault rifle and a hand gun from private parties and registered them on my own with the DOJ for $20 without a hitch. Go figure. Food for thought.
  11. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

In new york ALL hand guns must go through a FFL.Any gun shiped in or out of state must go through a FFL.But long guns can be sold face to face HOWEVER if you do not know the person you do not know what plans they have for the gun so i recommend to my customers to go through a FFL.I charge $10.00 to transfer a gun and allways do a NCIC check at lest i am doing the best i can to keep this gun out of a crazy nuts hands.You just never know and you dont need the greef....GOOFY
  12. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Even if you sell a firearm in an arms length transaction, always make sure that you get a photo copy of the buyer driver's license, etc. and keep with your records (FOREVER, or as long as you live), so that if someone down the line shoots someone with that firearm, you have a record of who you sold it to.

Good luck.
  13. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

WPSOOTER That is good advice....goofy
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    If I sold one of my guns, long, or short, it would be to someone I knew well. But I won't be selling any of my guns! If I buy a gun from someone other than a licensed dealer, then the same rull applies, I know them well, or there is no deal. Wouldn't it be great to buy a new in the box S&W 4" barrel .357 for $300! Oh yeah, it might be stolen! What's the peniality for receiving stollen merchindise? If you haven't learned this by age 18, you might need to go back to school. Naw, that probably wouldn't help you any either, you're just too dumb!
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  15. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

I am all for being prudent but having said that, I don't think I would forego selling any firearms for the reasons you state.

Even if you have known a person since you were in diapers, how do you absolutely know that that person is not going to use the firearm you sell them in some illegal action, if not immediately, sometime in the distance future.

I am certainly not an attorney, but my guess would be that if I purchased a firearm that had been stolen and if I had no knowledge either before or after the fact, then I doubt that I would have committed any crime but might have to forfeit the firearm.

Thanks.