do any of you collect stuff for no particular reason?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fleetwood1976, Jul 2, 2012.

1. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

We have always yardsaled and went to auctions and I never gave glassware a second look. In fact I hate it at auctions, because it takes for ever to sell it. but one day at a yard sale I found a piece of this stuff called Fostoria coin glass and for some reason decided I had to collect it. I used to collect coins, so I guess that is why it appeals to me. My wife actually hates it when I bring another piece home. She would rather me buy a gun.

I was wondering if any of you guys had any off the wall collections that don't really fit in with anything else you collect.

Attached Files:

2. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

My wife says I collect dust mostly...
  3. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I collect guns. I live in a 1700 sqft townhome with no basement. I don't have room to COLLECT crap. Never understood how someones old CRAP could be worth so much to other people.
  4. LyleLovett666

LyleLovett666 Former Guest

Anything I find odd or peculiar.I have penis bones,snake wine,tikki vases,dino poop,etc.
  5. tireman

tireman Member

i have picked up two antique hay trolleys a device used for getting hay in the loft they r pretty interesting to the eye! my 85 year old step dad was admiring my finds and told me a quick story. theres supposed to b a beam out of the barn that these trolleys run on. well, they were poor and could not afford the beam so was using pump pipe. The whole thing came crashing down, breaking his foot! I think i seen a little gleem in his eye as he told me this story. Im gonna have them sandblasted and hang them from his garage for his birthday! One mans trash is another mans treasure!
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  6. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Thats great Stragety
  7. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

i really dont collect anything, i just never throw nothing away:D
  8. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

"I was wondering if any of you guys had any off the wall collections that don't really fit in with anything else you collect."---

Yep, Caddy, I did....for awhile.....
    I collected ex-wives...and several were 'off the wall'....
    don't really fit in with my current collection, albeit we have
    been married over 700yrs now.....:eek:
  9. Petergunn

Petergunn Member

I've been trying to collect cash for 30 years but my love of firearms keeps that from happening.
  10. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I collect copenhagen cans. Fun to shoot at.
  11. Mike1959

Mike1959 New Member

for some strange unknown reason i collect tools. cleaned up the garage and toolbox the other day, never dreamed i had 7 box knives, 23 hammers and 3 drawers full of misc hardware. guess i should pay more attention, lol.
  12. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

collecting ( as opposed to a collection )
    ancient technology ( how they did things way back)
    guns
    gun making info
    survival info
    survival tools

Christian literature, music from many places , old and new

old iron and metal i find when digging for gold , buttons lead shot i keep it all ( melt the lead )

historical references , lots of history books and journals from the past
  14. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

Just guns and Corvettes here:D
  15. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I have old oil lamps. They are in working order. I have had to use them when i lost power. :) So....for the most part they sit.
  16. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

Actually, I don't really make any effort to collect stuff, usually it just seems that I fall into it. The top shelf of my desk here is covered with dragons, from cheap gas station ones to blown glass ones, to one my stepdaughter made in pottery class in college. I have some dragon knives that hang on the wall of the bedroom, I suppose it's just a side effect of writing fantasy novels, some of which have dragons in them.

I still have my tools from my years of working on cars, not really a "collection", just everything that I had when I had my shop, although I did end up selling off most of my bodywork tools to help finance my last divorce.

Firearms is a new thing for me. I've owned firearms over the years but from time to time a financial crunch hit and they were sacrificed, once to fund a down payment on a house, and once I got rid of everything because the wife was developing a drinking habit and had made a couple of threats regarding using the guns on various people, usually me, so I thought it best to sell them. The new wife is a boon to me, she loves to shoot and has bought me a couple of the firearms that I have now and is quick to back me in whatever I want to do as far as they go. I now have a modest collection of a 91/30 Mosin, a converted Saiga, an Armscor M1600, my Ruger P95 EDC, a Heritage Rough Rider and a Phoenix Arms HP22a. Oh, and the new Traditions Canyon .50 muzzleloader!
  17. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i started collecting ink wells at 20 they have been sitting in a box for toooooo long have to get in gear and sell them
  18. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Since high school, 1966-1968 to today I've collected every piece of:

Canadian coins
    Matchbooks, now very rare used to be everywhere
    Bumper Stickers, I have some real unusual ones including WALLACE/LEMAY for for president

Biggest mistake, getting rid of my model cars and worse....all my baseball and football cards :eek:
  19. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I don't really have any sizable collections, but my mother does!

If anyone collects delft decorative wall plates, please contact me, she has an entire closet full!
  20. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Do calories count?