Do any other countries send missionarys to America?

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by Redhand, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

Let me begin by saying that I offer up a prayer for everyone on this board when I see one request. I have a nagging question that I would like to get other peoples advice or opinion about. Our church and many others that I'm aware of send many missionary's to the Caribbean nations,South American countries,AFRICA,INDIA and other Indonesian countries and have for centuries. However, I'm not aware of any other countries sending missionaries to California,Illinois,Michigan,New York,New Jersey to top the list of areas were they are needed. Is it because our great country has more faith,more church going folks, or these other countries respect Americas right,obligation and faith based strength to take care of our own? Why have these frequently visited countries not established after century's of being evangelized to, developed their own faith based strengths,leaders and followers?:confused::confused::confused:
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Never heard of the Khrishnas? The Moons?

Here we laugh at 'em and call 'em "Cults", but it's the same thing. A religion from some other country has sent missionaries over here to convert us poor dumb pagans to the RIGHT BELIEF.
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Alpo is right.
    We are very predominantly Christian, so Christian churches in other countries are no more likely to send missionaries here than we are to send them to England. The ones that DO send missionaries are the non-Christian groups, which Alpo has named a couple of.
  4. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

As well as the two groups mentioned, I'm sure that the Muslims are recruiting also. But would you agree that we need more missionary's in places like L.A,New York,New York,Detroit,Philly,Cleveland,CHICAGO etc. We probably have more lost souls in the cities I've mentioned than some of these other places that we have been sending missionary's for century's.:confused::confused::confused:
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Soviet Union sent a heap to your schools and colleges over the last 5 decades

UN is sending a heap as is the various arms of islam

Thinking about sending you some as well eh ;) sorta counter balance it some ...
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I know of several church groups here in the US that send missionaries to other parts of our own country, especially the Northeast.
    And I know of some American missionaries in England.

Christian people should, as a natural part of being Christians, share their faith wherever they go.
  7. KenV

KenV Former Guest

Hmmm.

It appears that it is assumed only non-Christian churches send missionaries from outside the USA to the USA. I'd like to point out an exception.

It's well known that Mormon missionaries from the USA go to third world countries, as well as to Europe and other "developed" nations. Basically they go all over the world. What's less well known is that Mormon missionaries from "developed" nations as well as from third world nations come to the USA. It's definitely a two-way street for the Mormons.
  8. ampaterry

Redhand, Josh, Ken, I stand corrected!
    Christians do, absolutely, have mission work in areas that are predominantly Christian.
    Heck, I have been on enough door-knocking trips when I attended a little Baptist church, I should have realized that what we were doing WAS mission work.

I was thinking of 'missionary' work as introducing folks to Christ who have never heard of him, and that is simply not the case -
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Something to think about.

Let's suppose you are a Baptist, and are quite happy going to Church Sunday and Wednesday, worshiping God and Jesus the way you want to, and getting all-over dunked.

And a guy with curly sideburns and a long beard, wearing a black suit, shows up at your door explaining how Jesus was NOT the Messiah. How you need to come to church on Saturday. How you need to not eat bacon or shrimp. Because Judaism is the only REAL RELIGION.

Would you be happy? Would you be open-minded? Would you be willing to listen to him, and change your religion because this guy came to your door to talk?

Or would you say, "Shove off", and slam the door in his face? The NERVE of that heathen, trying to tell ME how to worship!!!!!

So why would you think at anyone else would be happy that you came to their door to tell them about the joys of being a Baptist? I mean, there I am. Reading a book/watching TV/playing a video game/cleaning a gun/talking to the kids/bathing the dog/making lunch, and the doorbell rings and it's somebody that wants to TALK TO ME ABOUT A RELIGION THAT IS NOT MINE, AND THAT I DON'T CARE ANYTHING ABOUT.

Sounds like there is not a whole lot of difference between missionaries and telemarketers.

I was raised to be polite. So for the longest time, when the Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses, or anybody else came knocking, I would stand there and listen. Politely. Then one day I realized that I did not have to be polite to someone that was being rude to me. And when you get right down to it, if you come banging on my door, uninvited, and interrupt whatever it is I am doing, to try to sell me something - and it does not matter if it is vacuum cleaners, encyclopedias or God, you are trying to sell it to me - then you are RUDE. If I want to learn about the Mormons, I can call the local LDS church. Want to learn about Jehovah's Witness? Call the local Kingdom Hall. Don't come to my house unless I ask you to. To do otherwise is simply rude as hell.

And now when missionaries come to my house, I shut the door in their face.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2012
  10. KenV

KenV Former Guest

I'm not a Baptist, but you've described me rather well.

ABSOLUTELY! Lots of religious folks have knocked on my door and I'm glad they did.

Yup. I'd be glad to hear their message and accept the flyer, brochure, or whatever they wanted to leave behind.

Totally.

That would be stupid. You've jumped to the conclusion that he only wants to convert you to his religion, and not simply share a message that gives him joy.

I have never done that and would never even consider doing that. And I believe that people who think that way are to be pitied.

Because I welcome ANYone who comes to my door who desires to share a message of peace and joy.

You're welcome to that opinion, but it seems mighty short sighted to me.

That's your loss, and an attitude to be pitied.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2012
  11. ampaterry

I am with Ken on this one, Alpo.
    I have had many great times discussing the various facets of my belief or their belief with JW's, LDS, SDA, and a couple more.
    It is EXTREMELY rare for those conversations to become heated.

Did any of them "comvert" me?
    Nope.
    Did I "convert" any of them?
    Nope.
    But at the end of the visit, we BOTH knew more about the other's beliefs, and often more about our own as well.

When I FINALLY got saved, I had investigated several different denominations, and had many hours of delightful conversations with many people.

After I got saved, I had some LDS Missionaries that had visited many times before stop by for a visit. When I told them I had received Christ, they REJOICED with me, even though I had NOT joined myself to their church. They said they had been praying for me, and their prayers were answered!

Not EVERYONE that knocks on your door with a Bible in their hand is trying to convert you to their denomination. SOME of them only desire to bring you to a relationship with God - no matter what brand you may end up choosing.
  12. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

GOD is not for sale, not now or ever. He is FREE to those who will accept his gracious,generous and merciful offering. He forces noone to accept his offer thru any man except thru the blood of his son JESUS CHRIST. However thru the WORD he has warned those who will not accept his offer that they will one day pay with their soul thru eternity. When he knocks on your door and you don't answer, he may not come knocking again.:confused::D;)
  13. Barry23

Barry23 New Member

Here in the United States individuals do not discuss God in community venues but there are spiritual and ethical trainers in Govt Multilingual Great Educational institutions in those same locations you sent and deliver missionaries. So who needs more missionaries than the other? If you look at it; New Guinea does not prevent trainers from informing their learners about God; in The united states they do.
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Barry , welcome !

may i ask where in the USA is Karachi ?

i thought you where just allies

did i miss something ??