The Firearms Forum banner

Do AR-15 barrels become inaccurate after multiple shots like the mini-14?

14K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  GunHugger 
#1 ·
i want a ar-15 but not if it has the same problem as the mini-14 with regards to the barrels becomeing inaccurate after they heat up, does anybody know after how long of rapid fire does this actualy happen? i know the newer mini-14 has a heavy barrel that uses the mini-30 barrel but in 223 from what i have heard on the new series,so does that solve the problem and is the mini 14 now a better barrel as far as accuracy goes after heating up? thanks ,and dont get me wrong i love the look and everything else of the ar much better but want to see how much i am willing to spend on one if its no better than a mini14 with a match barrel / trigger job thanks again!

#2 ·
Barrel don't exactly become less accurate after multiple shots, They become less accurate after the barrel heats up. Mini-14 were never made with a bull barrel they all had skinny barrels, So after the barrel gets hot shot-groups tend to widen. Most AR-15's have bull-barrels so it takes a hell of alot more than a Mini to get them hot enough to lose accuracy.

#3 ·
Rob

Get a chrome lined barrel...Whether it is a heavy barrel or a pencil, it is still going to blow the mini 14 out of the water in terms of accuracy.

Crpdeth

#5 · (Edited)
The only thing you gain with a mini 14 is that it will cycle junk ammo. Most AR15's will not cycle the cheap stuff like wolf. Mini 14's will even cycle old military ammo that has turned green and started to oxidize. I hate to say it, but if I were in a life or death situation, and my life depended on firing 3 rounds in a row without a jam, I would take the mini 14. AR's are just not as reliable...at least not the Bushmaster and DPMS rifles I have fired.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aug. 15, 2009 Update to my comment above:
I discovered that my Bushmaster Predator cycled fine with premium/expensive ammo loaded with bullets heavier than 55 grain, and it cycled fine with my reloads that I loaded to max. Apparently wolf and Barnaul do not load their cartridges with as much powder, so my bushmaster was short cycling. I spoke with a guy who really, really wanted a predator rifle, so I traded him for his S&W M&P15. I have found that the M&P will cycle ANYTHING and EVERYTHING I feed it. That being the case, I am going to change my statement above. If it came down to a life or death situation, and I absolutely had to fire 3 or more rounds in a row without a jam, I choose my M&P 15 without hesitation. This is the most relaiable semi-auto rifle I have ever fired....even when it's dirty.

#6 ·
That's not been my experience. I put several 30 round mags of ammo thru mine right after i got it at the range shooting at a steel target, at 200 yards. Just using the iron sights, i was pinging the target every time, no problem.

The barrel is chrome lined, so, Plus 1 on that.

And DO NOT use that crappy Wolf ammo in an AR. I have no idea why some people who are willing to buy a $1,000 rifle will then put that crap through it. Danger! Danger! Will Robinson! Danger!

#10 ·
Crpdeth:

That's nice to know, because my Norinco SKS has a chrome-lined barrel.
But hitting a floating orange at 60 feet (fun) does not require an expensive rifle.
True, but with an AR, you can hit a man sized target at 600 yards with iron sights. No can do with the 14 or the SKS. :eek:

#12 ·
The Ruger mini travels with one thing, and since it`s release.......the known ability to produce a minimum 6 MOA on a good day. At slow fire or otherwise.

This is somewhat akin to comparing a rock thrower to a pellet gun for accuracy.

In the world of MOA the abused and uncleaned AK47 will outshoot the Mini on a bad day.

#14 ·
That's cause its not ment to be a belt fed weapon.240s and saws are designed for that I've been in the military and have use my m4/ar15 for years to snipe and lay down suppresive fire never has my accuracy been questioned never fear your weapon is safe unless you make a 9,500 mistake and make it belt fed then you have the money to buy plenty of barrels

#15 ·
Unless you find a "$10 Special" barrel, it shouldn't lose accuracy. For best results, though, get a bull barrel that's chrome lined.

#16 ·
The only thing you gain with a mini 14 is that it will cycle junk ammo. Most AR15's will not cycle the cheap stuff like wolf. Mini 14's will even cycle old military ammo that has turned green and started to oxidize. I hate to say it, but if I were in a life or death situation, and my life depended on firing 3 rounds in a row without a jam, I would take the mini 14. AR's are just not as reliable...at least not the Bushmaster and DPMS rifles I have fired.
I tend to disagree with this statement. If you keep the rifle clean and lubed up and don't let the bolt carrier get dry the AR will cycle fine. If you get it dirty and dry even with good ammo it will jam quite frequently.

I have owned and put thousands of rounds through both and prefer the ar over the mini any day of the week. But I want something I can go out and have fun with and still put rounds on target at 300 meters.

#17 ·
I have a mini 30, AR 15 and an AK 47. If I had to grab one of the three, I'll take my AD every time. The AK is not as accurite as the other 2 but if it comes down to it my AK will shoot rocks...

I just bought a Remington 770 and I am experiencing true love for the very first time. It's too bad all I can find is a 4 round magazine. You don't have to worry about the barrel heating up. All you need is one shot.

#19 · (Edited)
I have an AR 15 and a MINI 30. I don't think either are very accurite. How ever, I haven't given up on my AR yet. I think the scope on the AR might have cooties. I am going to install a better scope and try again.
I didn't think my Colt sporter HBAR was very accurate either until I started loading my own ammo for it. It has a 1 in 7 twist rate barrel that was spinning the 55g bullets too fast and they were tumbling. I worked up loads with 68g and 75g BTHP and OMG that thing will group 1" easy at 100 yards with the heaver bullets. ;)

#20 · (Edited)
One thing to keep in mind.

The Mini is one rifle, made in the same factory to the same specs.

When talking about the AR rifle we are talking about 30+ brands with many different specs and barrels.

What I am trying to say is ALL AR'S ARE NOT THE SAME. Some are much better than others as far as accuracy and reliability.

A good quality AR will shoot all ammo and be reliable for a long time between cleaning. As always...you get what you pay for.

Just to show a few...

Remington Arms Co Inc, NY
DPMS Inc, MN
Bushmaster Firearms International LLC, ME
Stag Arms LLC, CT
Rock River Arms Inc, IL
Armalite Inc, IL
Kimber Mfg Inc, NY
Colt Defense LLC, CT
Olympic Arms Inc, WA
Vulcan Arms Inc, MN
Smith & Wesson Corp, MA
Aero Precision Inc, WA
Barrett Firearms Mfg Inc, TN
Double Star Corp, KY
D C Industries Inc, MN
Superior Arms, Inc, IA
Lauer, Steven Michael, WI
CMMG Inc, MO
*Ameetec Arms Llc, AZ
*DS Arms Inc, IL
Sabre Defence Industries Llc, TN
High Standard Manufacturing Co Inc, TX
Cobb Manufacturing Inc, GA
Cavalry Arms Corp, AZ
Wilsons Gun Shop Inc, AR
Lewis Machine & Tool Co, IL
Lawton Machine LLC, MT
Spike's Tactical LLC, FL
McMillan Bros Rifle Co Inc, AZ
Wilson Tactical LLC, AR
*SNS Industries Inc, WA
JP Enterprises Inc, MN
LWRC, VA

And this chart (hated by some) does show that there are differences.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.