1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Do Laser Boresighters Work

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by zant, Sep 5, 2012.

1. zant

zant Active Member

My son tells me I NEED one for every rifle...do they work....I just normally put up a 2x4 piece of paper at 100-200yds and sight in that way..
  2. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

They will QUICKLY get you on paper, and micro adjust
    from there.....
    Personally, I would buy a Site-Lite or similar [goes in end
    of barrel] and be able to use it for any caliber with the
    supplied o-rings etc.
    It too will QUICKLY get you on paper, and the rest is up to
    you.

Not to be confused with the old 'scope-at-the-end' style,
    Site-Lite is a laser, not a 'scope' you align your sights to,
    which also will put you on paper fast.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  3. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Ozo is right on the money...........the simple answer is yes, but you will still need to fine tune somewhat.
  4. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Site-Lite will run you about $100, less if you shop for it.
    Sight Mark caliber specific bore sighters will run about
    $25-$45 EACH....per specific caliber.
    The old style BSA 'arbor' style kit will run about $30-$40.
    They will all get you on paper......then you must use
    your own magic from that point.
    Personally, I have and like the Site-Lite most, but I also
    have the others [only a couple of Sight Mark's]
  5. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

I have a Laserlyte from Wallyworld that covers 4 different calibers. Works great, in fact I sight my 22's in with the laser in the house before going to the range.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

They also make them with a single laser unit, but with arbors (spuds) for each caliber.

If you have a rifle that you can remove the bolt and look through the barrel, you don't need a laser or any other kind of boresighter. Gunsmiths use them because to them time is money and boresighters are easy to use, fast, and don't require setting the rifle up on a bench.

Jim
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

zant:

You really only need any bore sighting device if the gun is not a bolt gun. With a bolt gun remove the bolt and look through the barrel at at target about 50 feet away. My house is setup so a target on the family room wall is about 50 feet from the opposite end of the house. You of course have to place the gun on a rest so it will stay steady (You can not touch the gun during this process and the gun has to be lined up through the bore on the target). This is really easy to do at the range. Once the target is in the center of the bore, move up to be able to see the target through the scope. Move the reticule with the elevations and windage scope adjustments until both are on the target, centered. Be careful to not move the gun.

For pumps, semi-autos, and gun that don't allow you to see the target through the barrel you have to use one of the other tools. The old optical collimator seems to be the least accurate and is easy to use incorrectly. There is the cartridge shaped laser bore sighter but you have to have one for every caliber. The in-the-bore style are adjustable for almost any caliber but make sure the part that goes into the bore is plastic so it will not mar the bore when tightened.

Bore sighting usually is only done when you first mount the scope, or the gun gets bumped. It makes no sense to me to use it any other time and with bolt guns it is not needed at all. So why spend a fortune for a bore sighter for the few times you might need it. I have the type that fits in the bore and may use it once a year, if that often, but I have many. many guns.

LDBennett
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Zant, the one thing not mentioned so far is that you need to start close with a bore sight of any kind. After bore sighting is done, don't exceed 50 yards with your first shot. Being close up will help you get on paper.
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

To add to LDBennets advice i have a bunch of cartridges that have the primers out so you can look through them ( .22 too)

the reduced appature ( hole) makes initial sighting in more accurate and easier

lazers are very handy , get you on the page first shot but you'll still need to perform your groups to dial it right in to bulls eye
  10. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I use a bore sighter about 3 or 4 times a day sometimes. You have to get a good one. the cheapo ones are never calibrated to center meaning if you stuck one in a stationary barrel and spun it, 50 yards away the laser dot would be making a 4 ft circle. That won't help you at all. I had a bsa boresighter that did that. My good one has gotten people within an inch at 100 yards. I check it periodically on my lathe using a dead center. if the laser dot moves off that point on my dead center, I know its out of whack.
  11. zant

zant Active Member

Nope don't NEED one:)...I'll just keep on doing it like I have for 30yrs.....Son is young and thinks only newest toys are any good.I don't mind doing old way-as LD and others said-look down barrel,get on paper.He thinks it's a waste of ammo,I don't care,I just reload more..Thx for input..
  12. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

As all said above, they will get you on paper and the rest is up to the shooter to fine tune the rifle. And as Helix was saying, the cheapo's are just that...IMO, junk.
    With a bolt rifle, I'll set up a target up out to about 50-60yds and put a Black filled, 4" circle on it.
    I have a lead sled and with it on a good bench that will not move, get the rifle strapped in it so it wont move. Take your bolt out and adjust the rifle barrel to center up as close as possible to the center of the 4" black circle. Then, adjust your crosshairs to the center as well.
    Un-srtap your rifle, lock and load, and see where the shot hits on the 4" circle, same distance. Then move your target out to where you want to zero it in at.

I've only owned one laser boresighter and it was a cheap one, "centerpoint brand" from wmart and it done just the way Helix described.
    Too much ammo can be wasted trying to get a rifle dialed in, non the less, fine tuning is when you'll need the ammo to do the fine tuning...to have it spot-on.
  13. clamman

clamman Active Member

Folks have been doing a pretty good job for many years without them. If I can't bore sight it by looking down the barrel I set up a target at 25 yards, put the rifle in a rest and go from there. Pretty easy!

Ps if he insists you still need it, tell 'em to git you one for your birthday lol
  14. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

We have one (kind that goes in the muzzle of the barrel but forgot the name of it) and it helps us get on paper faster and then we fine tune it from there. Well worth it to me.
  15. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

I bought an arbor type at Basspro, it has replaceable guide tips in different calibers (around $25.00) that works very well and has saved me more than the purchase price in ammunition.
    Even though I am a cheap old boy, I would most certainly buy another.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012