do Lee dies work for others?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by accident, Feb 28, 2010.

1. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've only used one lee die thats 30-06.I've never had any problems except for their lock rings,which i replace.My other caliber die is RCBS.it works too but the lee comes with factory crimp die & other stuff & is cheaper.I want a die now in .243 & I'm thinking of getting another Lee set. What do ya'll think or reccomend? THANKS Joe
  2. me2

me2 New Member

if you are wanting to know if it will fit in a RCBS press then yes it will work, i have several dies from different company's and they all work in my press.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

When I started reloading, I was snobbish as hell. Listened to everyone that said how crappy Lee was. Bought RCBS dies, unless I couldn't find them, then got Lyman or Hornady. Then, one day, I bought some Lee, 'cause I could not find any other brand. Was just gonna use them until I could replace them. Hopefully they would make shoot-able ammo.

Guess what? They make great ammo. And they are half the price of the other guys. Since that first set of Lee dies, I haven't bought any other brands. I figger half of my dies sets are Lee. Their boxes suck, but the dies are great. And I use them with my RCBS press, with no problem.
  4. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

I really like the LEE carbide dies that I use
  5. firewalker

firewalker New Member

I only have 2 sets of lee dies, one in 204 ruger and the other in 44 mag. both have worked great for the last year and i plan on many more years from them!
  6. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks guys.I'll place my order for the Lee set and expect it will work as well as my other one.
  7. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I have a set of Lee dies in 45 ACP and 308 Winchester. They both have been good to me. I will buy more when needed.
  8. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

I use Lee dies for 9mm, 38/357, 45 auto and 223. All of them make great ammo.
  9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

My oldest set of LEE dies is probably close to 50 years old. Does that tell you something? :D

Pops
  10. gazzmann

gazzmann New Member

.32 short, 32 long. 38 S&W, 38/357. 9mm, 40, 44 special, 44 mag, 223, 7.62x39, 30-06. 25-06, 243, 303, 45-70 they all have performed flawless over the years.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Most of my Lee die sets are more than 25 years old. That is not as long a pops set but it is a spell!! I will only buy other brands when I can't find what I want with Lee.
  12. gdcpony

gdcpony New Member

Other companies make dies? I've used others and went back to Lee. If you do your part they will work every time.
  13. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have dies from just about everyone that makes dies. The ONLY die set that ever rusted on me was a set of dies from LEE. I also had a couple of LEE collet neck size only dies and the collets galled so badly that the die quit working. The Lee Progressive Press I had broke every time I used it.

About 10 years ago based on my experiences up to that time I decided the following about LEE:

1). Based on reading his reloading manual, he is an arrogant S.X.B that believes that only he knows how to make reloading equipment. WRONG!

2) He has some great ideas for reloading tools but.... he uses the wrong materials to get the prices down, which effects the useful life of the tool. My LEE collet neck size only die is a prime example: similar metals when run against each other gall.... Mechanical Engineering Strength of Materials 101.

3) His lower pricing forced the rest of the industry to lower its prices. In today's dollars others reloading tools were expensive 40 years ago. He changed that. Todays reloading tool prices are actually pretty inexpensive, comparatively speaking. We have LEE to thank for that!

But I do like the LEE FActory Crimp Dies for rifle cartridges and have several. Even LEE gets it right some of the time!

LDBennett
  14. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    every thing i reload is with lee dies.i have yet to have any problems after 20-30 years.i also use other lee products and they are great. old semperfi
  15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I completely agree with conclusion #1. I also don't trust the loads he gives in his book. Probably because of said arrogance.