Do NFA regulations apply to antique firearms?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by CampingJosh, Oct 23, 2011.

1. zant

zant Active Member

As a side topic-did'nt NFA exempt Trapper model(15" barrel) a few years ago??Winchester did'nt make a lot of them.
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

BATFE has a lot of leeway under the law about categorizing specific firearms, and I seem to recall that they exempted that model from the NFA and declared it a C&R. Note that those are two separate determinations. A gun can be a C&R (a WWII TSMG for example) and still be under the NFA as a MG, SBR, etc.)

Jim
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

OK then.

So even if ATF determines that it is a Title II weapon and that I have to pay the $200 tax prior to converting it, it still seems that a shotgun manufactured prior to 1899 would still be exempted from the Indiana ban on short barrel shotguns.

I think this may be my project no matter which way ATF determines on this one.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

OK, the letter is going with me to the post office. We'll see what response I get.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Hey Josh, it's been three years. Did you ever hear back? What was the decision?
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I never got a response.

I kind of gave up on the idea for the time being. Wifey decided to go back to school for a master's degree, so money has been going to Ball State University instead of to guns. Seventeen months left.

I ought to resend that letter, though.
  7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Antique, not antique, I can tell you now, if you take a antique cartridge shotgun, one that was made prior to 1201 hrs ( or 0001 hours if you prefer ) on 1 January 1899, if it takes a modern cartridge and you cut the barrels down past 18 inches, then you have passed out of the twilight zone and are in the BATFE zone. You can no longer use the antique excuse. Yes, I have researched it before and I'm not going to get a headache doing it again, but that is the way the regs read.
  8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I'm in an unusual spot in that I can't simply pay the $200 and get a SBS. Indiana doesn't allow them. I'm trying to figure out if there is any gap between the state law and the federal law.

Gun owners here have been getting at least one small victory in the legislation each year, so maybe I'll just wait until SBS is no longer banned outright here. That sure would make this all easier.