1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Do you ask for any info when selling guns to individuals?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hkruss, Jan 24, 2010.

1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

What I mean is, do you ask for I.D. to verify age, or ask questions like, "are you buying the gun for yourself, or, are you legally allowed to buy this gun, (as in, are you a convicted felon)"?
    I'm sure the law may be different in some parts of the country, but here in Alabama, it is not required, (as far as I have been told by many, including a couple of LEO's). Someone correct me if that info is incorrect.
    I've seen numerous sales by private individuals at gun shows where no questions were asked other than, "how much". Same goes for guns bought though newspaper classified ad's.
    I just do not want to ever sell to some lowlife who might use it in a crime. Of course, there are no guarantees, but I'm thinking it would not hurt to at least ask these questions and maybe get them to sign something saying they are legally allowed to buy the gun. Kind of like trying to cover my butt legally should the gun be used in a crime.
    It may not help much, but it would not hurt either!

So what, if any, precautions do you take when selling to an individual?

2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

honestly, I kinda follow my gut on this one. If the person strikes me as an evil doer Ill back out of the sale. I mostly only sell to friends I have known for years. I have only ever sold to one stranger and he was a cop anyway and wanted a backup gun so I wasnt too bothered by the possibility of my gun killing someone since it would most likely be used to kill a badguy.
  3. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

I always ask for some form of I.D and ask if they are a convicted felon or prohibited from owning a gun. I'm more particular about handgun transactions. CYOA:confused::eek::D
  4. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

I sell to people I know. If not, I require a permit for handguns.
  5. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

How many have sold to dealers at gunshows where the dealer didn't ask any questions?:confused::eek::D
  6. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Here in Fla. you are not supposed to sell to a convicted felon or anyone who has been convicted of a misdemeanor involving violence. I went to the local Police station and asked them what requirements there are on selling a gun and thats what they told me. I asked them how do you know?? I was told that ask them and if they said no it was ok. Hmmmm. Kinda lax. So I guess that here you go with your gut.
  7. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Good question!

(although I would not sell to a dealer since you would probably be lucky to get 70 % of what a gun is truly worth!)
  8. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

I follow all the laws in this state as far as private sales go. Ask for FOID card, document transaction, including serial. Have never sold to anyone that strikes me as a shady person.
  9. docwalt

docwalt New Member

Best yet....try and find another States needed paperwork. You could most likely find it on their State Police websites. If not...print out your own form
    and have the buyer sign it.
  10. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I have never sold a gun to anyone I didn't know but if I did I think I might require them to fill out a BATFE form 4473 for my records.
  11. cranky cj

cranky cj New Member

So, go through an FFL and make the buyer pay the fee. Or as Tim said, get a blank copy of the form and make him fill it out, sign it and keep it for your records.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  12. Farmerjon

Farmerjon New Member

Better yet, don't sell!! Buy ones you want to keep/shoot/look at/modify/restore/hang on the wall/etc. But don't sell them!
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

farmerjon has a good point... Howelse are you supposed to build a large gun collection;)
  14. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I sold two at a gun show today without even knowing names. I also bought one that way (one that I ended up selling, but that wasn't my intention when I bought it).

I was at a gun show. My rule of thumb is that if they are already in possession of a firearm, then I feel free to assume that either (a) they are legally allowed to have a firearm or (b) they are deceptive about not being legally allowed to have a firearm. Either way, I feel covered.
  15. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Im with you Josh only I ask for names and document it just in case. But for the most part I dont sell unless I am goin broke.