Do you believe in the power of ......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by geezler, Jan 20, 2005.

1. geezler

geezler New Member

prayer?

A pierced and tattooed man quietly bows his head at a noisy lunch counter. A child in pink pajamas kneels at her bedside and recites a familiar blessing. A baseball player crosses himself as he steps to the plate on national television. A white-haired woman lights a candle and weeps silently into her handkerchief for her dying husband. A dark-suited minister prays for peace on Earth, and the congregation in one voice cries out, "Amen."

Prayer has become familiar terrain in modern America. It is woven into the daily rhythms of life, its ethos embedded in the public and private experiences of millions. Indeed, a recent Roper poll found that nearly half of all Americans said that they pray or meditate every day--far more than those who regularly participate in religious services.

Over the centuries, its practitioners have included saints and scoundrels, skeptics and believers, the meek and the mighty--people of every creed and culture and of every station in life who, whether out of pious faith or primal fear, have reached out to a reality greater than themselves.

Do you pray? Why? Do you think prayer can heal?
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Couldn’t hurt.
  3. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Yes and yes.
  4. RobW

RobW New Member

May be this is the answer to the continuing assault on Christian faith and symbols (actually not only Christian, because Muslims have a God, Hindus have a God, Bddhists have a God, Jews have a God ...)
  5. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Yes, I pray. I do so to communicate with my Lord, and I do believe there is power in prayer. I do not believe that prayer in and of itself can heal; only God can heal. But prayer is the way to communicate to God your needs, including the need for healing. Prayer is also the way God communicates back to you. It's a two way thing. You talk to God; He talks to you. That means that a part of your prayer time should be spent listening to what God has to say to you.
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Yes and yes!

I have had several stark examples of miracles directly from God, showing His watching over me and caring for me, in the last few years particularly.

I communicate regularly with Him and know He answers - Not always the specific way I would like, but answers none the less. He is extremely active in the lives of those who regularly talk with Him.
  7. Carl S

Carl S New Member

Amen and very well stated!

To answer the original questions: Yes and Yes
  8. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

I have been a firm believer in communicating with Allmighty God for years.