Do you carry Cocked and Locked?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by mspears, Jun 22, 2005.

1. mspears

mspears New Member

If you carry Cocked and Locked, what do you do at the end of the day? Clear the weapon and lower the hammer, or just leave it in the ready for tomorrow? What's the pro's and con's of each method?
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The M1911 pistol was designed to be carried cocked and locked.

What do I do at the end of the day?

I wipe the pistol down with an oily rag and put it to bed.......cocked and locked. The pistol is ready when I need it.

I have never had or heard of any problems associated with cocked and locked 1911's.
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Ditto what Shooter45 said for either my 1911 Springfield .45 or my Browning Hi-Power Practical in 9mm. Since I am on Oxygen 24/7, when I leave the house it is most convenient and very secretly concealed carry in my portable Oxygen Tank case. It provides a catch-all much like SoMo's purse.

Back when the kids were still living at home I would keep it with the chamber empty but with a loaded magazine on the night stand ready to be racked. I have always used high capacity factory or factory/contract magazines in the Browning.
  4. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

i also have never had a problem with cocked and locked
  5. tucsonpilot

tucsonpilot New Member

Cocked and locked all day every day, you never know when an extra second might make the diffrence. However, I carry a Glock 19, so I suppose that I can't really say that it is "Cocked and Locked", but...yep...one in the chamber all the time, same when I get home.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Nope, I carry a SIG. ;)
  7. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Ditto to what Shooter45 said.

JMB designed the 1911 to be carried cocked & locked......'course the military never believed him and made us carry it hammer down on an empty chamber.

Now that I'm a civilian (haven't had to stand a midwatch in years), I can carry it any damn way I please.....and that's C&L! :D
  8. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Its carried C&L. End of the day, the round is cleared, and the weapon is put by the bed. My thoughts/rationale on this are that if a "bump in the night" response is required, the act of putting the gun into battery gives my brain a chance to "get out of park and into drive." Thus hopefully preventing any nasty surpises. (Note - the 12ga is handled the same way, must chamber one before action, same reasons.)
  9. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

I carry an empty chamber. I figure I can afford the split second it takes to rack the slide better than I can afford to explain an accidental discharge. I don't want to be the guy who gives the anti-gunners any ammo. It eliminates the possibility of firing before I'm on target. Adrenalin can be a funny thing!!!
    Huck
  10. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

that is something to think about.good point
  11. Ruger.44

Ruger.44 New Member

Only when I'm carrying my Kimber, and only when I think I need to. Usually I carry my P91DC or ( I hear the Yawns already) my G23.
  12. Vom Kriege

Vom Kriege New Member

I have a 1911, but I have never carried it CCW. I just haven't put enough rounds through it to get comfortable with it. When and if I ever do carry it I will carry it C&L.

I usually carry a Ruger P95, a Glock 27, or an S&W 13 when off duty.
  13. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Kimber 1911 - C&L
    CZ75BD - Decocked
  14. ArmyCop

ArmyCop New Member

Isn't that the same way a Glock with one in the chamber is?
  15. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Cocked and locked is the best way to carry. You shouldn't have to worry about an accidental discharge if you have trained yourself properly. When the gun comes out your finger shouldn't go straight for the trigger. Keeping it on the frame until you aquire your target makes it a lot safer and you're not gonna lose any time by doing it.