The Firearms Forum banner

Do you carry Cocked and Locked?

15K views 55 replies 48 participants last post by  troutwest66 
#1 ·
If you carry Cocked and Locked, what do you do at the end of the day? Clear the weapon and lower the hammer, or just leave it in the ready for tomorrow? What's the pro's and con's of each method?

#2 ·
The M1911 pistol was designed to be carried cocked and locked.

What do I do at the end of the day?

I wipe the pistol down with an oily rag and put it to bed.......cocked and locked. The pistol is ready when I need it.

I have never had or heard of any problems associated with cocked and locked 1911's.

#3 ·
Ditto what Shooter45 said for either my 1911 Springfield .45 or my Browning Hi-Power Practical in 9mm. Since I am on Oxygen 24/7, when I leave the house it is most convenient and very secretly concealed carry in my portable Oxygen Tank case. It provides a catch-all much like SoMo's purse.

Back when the kids were still living at home I would keep it with the chamber empty but with a loaded magazine on the night stand ready to be racked. I have always used high capacity factory or factory/contract magazines in the Browning.

#7 ·
Ditto to what Shooter45 said.

JMB designed the 1911 to be carried cocked & locked......'course the military never believed him and made us carry it hammer down on an empty chamber.

Now that I'm a civilian (haven't had to stand a midwatch in years), I can carry it any damn way I please.....and that's C&L! :D

#8 ·
Its carried C&L. End of the day, the round is cleared, and the weapon is put by the bed. My thoughts/rationale on this are that if a "bump in the night" response is required, the act of putting the gun into battery gives my brain a chance to "get out of park and into drive." Thus hopefully preventing any nasty surpises. (Note - the 12ga is handled the same way, must chamber one before action, same reasons.)

#9 ·
I carry an empty chamber. I figure I can afford the split second it takes to rack the slide better than I can afford to explain an accidental discharge. I don't want to be the guy who gives the anti-gunners any ammo. It eliminates the possibility of firing before I'm on target. Adrenalin can be a funny thing!!!
Huck

#15 ·
Cocked and locked is the best way to carry. You shouldn't have to worry about an accidental discharge if you have trained yourself properly. When the gun comes out your finger shouldn't go straight for the trigger. Keeping it on the frame until you aquire your target makes it a lot safer and you're not gonna lose any time by doing it.

#19 ·
The 1911 was designed to be carried Cocked and Locked. If your gun is in good working order, there is no chance of an accidental discharge. In the condition that you carry(Condition 2) an accidental discharge is a lot more likely, especially if you are in a hurry. If your thumb slips, it could be a problem. I'll carry mine in Condition One. My $.02.

#23 ·
I carry a Taurus cocked and locked. At the end of the day, I lower the hammer with the decocker/safety lever. (That's what I like about Taurus pistols) I do lower the hammer by night because:..."if a "bump in the night" response is required, the act of putting the gun into battery gives my brain a chance to "get out of park and into drive." as 45Smashemflat states.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.