The Firearms Forum banner

Do you carry Cocked and Locked?

15K views 55 replies 48 participants last post by  troutwest66 
#1 ·
If you carry Cocked and Locked, what do you do at the end of the day? Clear the weapon and lower the hammer, or just leave it in the ready for tomorrow? What's the pro's and con's of each method?

G
#28 ·
The solution is simple: carry a revolver! :D It's always "cocked and locked" but without the worries (for some) about a condition 3 carry. Actually, I do carry a revolver quite often, but I also carry my Glocks hot, with a round in the chamber. I figure that if (God forbid!) I ever have to draw my weapon for "serious social interaction," I don't want to fiddle with a safety with all that adrenalin pumping, just line up front sight on target and squeeze the trigger.

#29 ·
Pistolenschutze said:
The solution is simple: carry a revolver! :D It's always "cocked and locked" but without the worries (for some) about a condition 3 carry. Actually, I do carry a revolver quite often, but I also carry my Glocks hot, with a round in the chamber. I figure that if (God forbid!) I ever have to draw my weapon for "serious social interaction," I don't want to fiddle with a safety with all that adrenalin pumping, just line up front sight on target and squeeze the trigger.
amen

#30 ·
Pistolenschutze said:
The solution is simple: carry a revolver!
I partially agree with Pistol and Nighthawk -

In the alternate, and more often than not, as a back-up on the ankle, I carry my trusted S&W M60. It is an older original ss item limited to .38 Special, which are HP and +P !!!!!!

G
#31 ·
In the alternate, and more often than not, as a back-up on the ankle, I carry my trusted S&W M60. It is an older original ss item limited to .38 Special, which are HP and +P !!!!!!
The 60 will get the job done, Marlin, and it's hard to beat for concealability and reliability. The CCW weapon I most often carry is a Smith 637, loaded the same way you do, along with a Bianchi strip loader for reload.

#32 ·
"The solution is simple: carry a revolver! It's always "cocked and locked" but without the worries (for some) about a condition 3 carry. Actually, I do carry a revolver quite often, but I also carry my Glocks hot, with a round in the chamber. I figure that if (God forbid!) I ever have to draw my weapon for "serious social interaction," I don't want to fiddle with a safety with all that adrenalin pumping, just line up front sight on target and squeeze the trigger."

Freakin Glocks even coin they`re own condition.....LMAO Condition HOT!!
That is just too damned funny, HOT` oh dear can I say it enough??????HOT-HOT-HOT

Oh yes fiddlin with that safety takes forever, kinda like getting a sight picture......

Ok, I`ll admit......now this glock stuff is damned funny!!!!!

LMAOROTF----thump! What was that??........I`m HOT!!?

LTS

#35 ·
you may not believe this one but my mentor who is an gunsmith for the past 50 years carried a colt 1911 and he carried it with one on the chamber but hammer down. back then in ecuador during the 60's in the region of jama and all the province times were like the wild west, there were no roads and horses where the common transportation, land rover and jeep willys. anyway he prooved to be more effective with the hammer down and shooting from his hip than another military that carried his weapon cocked and locked.

#36 ·
I understand the 1911 was designed for C&L carry, but war was the idea, wasn't it?
If you're not comfortable with C&L, you beg the question of 1911 CCW. I'm not and I do. I'd prefer a DA/SA auto or wheelgun for CCW, just for an extra margin of saftey. My 1911 is C&L in the drawer.
I'm looking for the Taurus OSS 45.
We may never hear of any trouble from a C&L carry here, but potential energy waiting for a primer is more than I'd care to carry.

G
#42 ·
My favorite saying, "I am but a student at all this". :D

Crpdeth
Aren't we all, Donny. The day a person stops learning is the day he or she should call the undertaker and make reservations. ;) I learn something new everyday on TFF. The fund of available knowledge around here amazes me. King, the only "stupid" question is the one you fail to ask.

#44 ·
If my 1911 is on me it's in condition one (cocked and locked). If it's in the lock box next to the bed for the night or in storage when I'm at school teaching, it's condition two (hammer down on loaded chamber). I lower the hammer at night, VERY carefully, or when stored. Going to condition one won't take long at home. If I need to pull it while carrying, I may need to do so in a big hurry. Jeff Cooper carried in condition one as well as Clint Smith does, I'm pretty sure. I think these fellas know a thing or two about carrying the 1911.:cool:

#45 ·
Liktoshoot,

What bothers you about locked and cocked with an ambi safety if the holster was made to accomodate the ambi? I just bought a Taurus PT 1911 with an ambi safety and Crimson Trace Laser Grips. The safety on the side with the laser has been clipped so that it falls behind the laser window. I have a holster on order that will accomodate the ambi safety. I am new to this weapon and am wondering why you seem so concerned.

Neverhome

Neverhome

#48 ·
Condition one (c&l) for my ccw firestar, and it stays that way by my bed. Condition three (chamber empty, hammer down, full magazine in place) for my house guns (the semi-auto's that is, doesn't apply to my loaded revolvers).
If a gun ain't loaded it ain't nothin' but a durn short club.
One thing I like about the firestar is it can be cleared without taking off the safety, one thing I don't is the magazine safety which also keeps the mag from dropping free when I push the release .

#49 ·
I keep the double-action-only semiautos fully loaded with a round in the chamber, and the da/sa revolvers full, too. But any gun I don't have with me is unloaded and either locked in a container or equipped with a trigger or cable lock. Unloading and reloading just isn't that hard, and, being a human, I know I am susceptible to having forgotten something, like whether I've left a loaded gun in a place where it'd be easy for a burglar to find. I regard "don't leave loaded (or easily loaded) guns lying around" as a discipline thing, equivalent to "make sure you only point the muzzle in a safe direction."

I did remove the hammer-actuating cam in the S&W internal lock, though, so I don't bother with that, anymore, convenient as it was.

#50 ·
If you are going to carry a 1911, it had better be cocked and locked. I did for years. In that condition it must have the manual safety moved to 'fire' position, the grip safety properly depressed, AND the trigger pulled in order to fire. Never was a problem. At night, I would lower the hammer on a loaded chamber.

Now I prefer a DAO or DA/SA pistol for carry. I'm either A. More modern or B. A nervous old fool, you decide which.

#51 ·
I used to keep a round in the chamber when I went to bed. About 5 years ago I went deer hunting for the weekend. I was asleep in my camper and woke up to a dark figure standing in the doorway of my camper. As I was reaching for my spotlight with one hand, I was shouting at the guy in the doorway to identify himself or be shot and slapping the night stand trying to find the .357 mag. All of this going on instantaneously over the period of about 2 seconds. When I pointed the spotlight towards the dark figure and pulled the trigger on the light, I blew a hole through the side of the camper. That made me completely wake up and I realized I had been in a half awake state kind of like sleep walking. There was nobody in the camper except me, and no more door either. Since I was "sleep walking", so to speak, I actually had the .357 in my hand and not the spotlight.
That taught me a lesson that I still live by. If my .357 is on the night stand, I keep the first two chambers empty. I have to conciously pull the trigger three times to make it go bang, and that still leaves me 4 shots for the bad guy. If my Sig is on the night stand, I leave the chamber empty so that I have to conciously pull the slide before firing it.
Let me tell you, there is nothing quite like waking up to the sound of a .357 spotlight going off inside a small camper.
Those dang camper doors are expensive for the small amount of material that goes into them. The guy at the camper store asked me what happened to the original door, so I told him it accidentally opened when I was backing up past a tree.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.